1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Newhouse ... joining the lemmings? Or something else? Or just Newark?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by 2muchcoffeeman, Jun 25, 2008.

1. inkfingers

inkfingers Member

It made sense when I was typing it :-[

2. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Don't mind me. I'm just giving you a hard time for levity's sake. ;D

3. inkfingers

inkfingers Member

Interesting to note the rumors swirling about another Newhouse paper, the Cleveland Plain Dealer, on another thread here. Rumors of a significant reduction of pages (35) per week, and a 20 percent reduction of editorial workers. I wonder if the Pledge was clarified, or ever in place, at that paper.

4. The PD editorial staff is represented by the Guild.

5. Buck Hill

Buck Hill New Member

Workers in Michigan received similar letters … and an explanation about the letters that made it sound like the letters didn't mean anything to anybody. Weirdest, most poorly worded, legalese-filled letter I've ever seen. The pledge appears to be solid, but the entire thing is weird.

Booth-Newhouse is still the best newspaper company to work for, but with the state of the industry today it's all relative. Kind of like saying you're a passenger on the nicest ship in a fleet of ships that are all sinking.

6. spnited

spnited Active Member

Spoke to a former colleague in Newark today. Seems no one at the Ledger knows what to make of that memo but they didn't find it exactly reassuring.

Draft saved Draft deleted