1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Newfoundland: British, not Canadian, until 1949

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by writing irish, Jan 13, 2009.

1. writing irish

writing irish Active Member

Holy shit! I keep stepping in Fail!

I will remember that about Newfoundland not being a Maritime. I thought that all the Anglophone provinces east of Quebec were called such. OK, Atlantic Provinces.

I didn't like The Shipping News, either. Couldn't place my finger on it, but there was something disagreeable about the way the book made me feel. Kind of creepy...though I suppose that was the point.

2. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

Good post, In Exile. I'll admit I never gave two thoughts about Newfoundland before this thread, but you make it sound like a damn interesting place.

3. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

I posted this on the 9/11 thread a few months back. Worth a read here for those who haven't seen it.

http://www.readersdigest.ca/mag/2002/10/strangers.html

4. In Exile

In Exile Member

When I retire I hope to have a place up there. My parents were going to, so my mother could be around her family, but unfortunately they both passed before they had the chance.

I've never known anyone to regret a visit there. But go in the summer (winter is not so cold and snowy but incredibly damp) and if you go out in the hills, be prepared for black flies and daily temps that can range from upper 50s to near 90. Look up photos of Cape Spear - easternmost point of North America. Where I grew up in the US we used to enjoy the notion that Newfoundland was about halfway to Ireland. Drove up there a couple times as a kid, my father basically driving non-stop for almost four full days, before the interstate, with a nine-hour ferry ride on day three.

And learn to drink rum. By the bottle.

5. JR

JR Well-Known Member

HC does a great Newfie accent.

There's another fabulous book (likely out of print) called "Wake of the Great Sealers" by Farley Mowat and printmaker David Blackwood whose art captures the life, mythology and culture of he outports of Newfoundland

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  6. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

http://www.thedailyshow.com/video/index.jhtml?videoId=212888&title=Provinces-in-Peril

This post reminded me of this daily show clip. I guess Samantha Bee had a similar upbringing.

7. Grimace

Grimace Guest

That was beautiful, Huggy. Missed it the first time. Thanks.

8. HC

HC Well-Known Member

I love the Newfies! There's a butt load of them here in Mimico. I did an opera with a tenor from Newfoundland who loudly announced during a discussion of whether it was almost time for our lunch break that he was "hungry enought to eat the arse off a low flyin' goose". How do you not love people who come up with shit like that?

9. This is how we learned history in my good Catholic schools.
    We learned about Britain and France up until 1776, when we started learning about America. Whereupon, Europe pretty much disappeared, from Napoleon until WWI, unless you count that little dust-up with Spain in 1896. Russia existed only as the place that sold us Alaska until the godless Commies took over.
    Eurocentric, my ass.
    It wasn't even that.

10. JR

JR Well-Known Member

"The plane people" is perfectly Newfoundland.

11. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

So, it's Ohio of Canada?

12. Flash

Flash Guest

JR and HC didn't get me quite drunk enough to bring out the accent, otherwise I'm sure they would have testified already. ;)

Draft saved Draft deleted