1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Newfoundland: British, not Canadian, until 1949

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by writing irish, Jan 13, 2009.

1. writing irish

writing irish Active Member

It is Epic Fail on the part of education in the USA.

2. Flash

Flash Guest

We have some pretty cool stories up here, too.

Of course, I'll also tell you that education out west is remarkably different than where I grew up. I dated a guy in B.C. and I had to explain to him the origin of the word 'cajun.' I was shocked that he had no idea.

3. writing irish

writing irish Active Member

4. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Hear hear, Flash. I've been railing against that for years. An enormous hole in our education system.

5. Double J

Double J Active Member

Thanks, but I prefer the Lefty Frizzell original. Lefty Frizzell was a god. :)

6. HC

HC Well-Known Member

The last announcement that will be made on the CBC: "The world is ending at 10 o'clock. 10:30 in Newfoundland." :D

7. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Learn me.

8. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

Because one of my grandmothers was born there, I actually knew that Newfoundland was British at one time, but I thought it became a part of Canada in 1966.

9. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

While we're on this, Wolverine was Canadian, not American:

http://io9.com/5031861/who-erased-wolverines-canadian-past

10. I'd like to introduce you to the United States of America. Nothing else counts.

11. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Coincidentally, I am in the middle of reading a wonderful book, "The Iambics Of Newfoundland" by Robert Finch.

I've been to the island a few times and there is no place in North America quite like it.

If there were an Olympics in drinking, the entire province would win a gold.

And some of the best place names in the world. My brother and I spent a week there about 30 years ago and made a special detour to visit Dildo.

12. pseudo

pseudo Well-Known Member

Correct. Despite living within two hours of the Peace Bridge, our high school history classes on Canada were pretty much over with once we learned the names of the capital city, provinces, and territories. (Oh yeah, some of the early explorers were tossed in there, too.) Any additional knowledge I've gained -- and I'll admit I'm no expert -- was acquired entirely on my own, after I found out about the U.E.L. line in our family history.

Draft saved Draft deleted