1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Newfoundland: British, not Canadian, until 1949

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by writing irish, Jan 13, 2009.

1. writing irish

writing irish Active Member

Holy shit. Ran across this fact while reading the Wiki bio of Foster Hewitt.

For some reason, this blew me away. I feel full of total fail for not knowing this.

2. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

You should... ESPECIALLY for someone who has two hockey jerseys in his avatar

3. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Ha! Just learned that the other day when I picked up Tony Horowitz's new book and he made the trek up north.

4. writing irish

Hockey fondness aside, I know a lot more about Latin America than I do Canada, based purely on personal experience. It's weird, I guess, but I come from a part of the USA that is more influenced by Mexico than Canada.

5. writing irish

Along that note, I am aware of the historical Republic of Yucatan, as I spent four sleepy months in this part of present-day Mexico.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Republic_of_Yucatan

Not broadly analagous to the Newfoundland story, but interesting nevertheless.

6. Double J

Double J Active Member

Technically, it was only British - ie. a British colony - until 1907. That's when it became a dominion, the same status as Canada.

Self-government failed during the Great Depression and Newfoundland was run throughout the Second World War by a commission that reported to London. After the war, Newfoundland had to decide whether to regain independence or join Canada, and joining Canada won by a slim majority in the second of two referendums.

At which point Foster Hewitt dropped "and Newfoundland" in his weekly "Hockey Night In Canada" greeting. :)

7. Flash

Flash Guest

Man walks on moon ...

8. dreunc1542

dreunc1542 Active Member

Same place I learned it actually.

9. Double J

Double J Active Member

You're from Saginaw, Michigan? :D

10. FileNotFound

FileNotFound Well-Known Member

Newfoundland time is also a half-hour later than it is in the next time zone west, rather than a full hour. Crazy Newfies. :)

11. Flash

Flash Guest

I find it interesting that in the course of our education, we -- Canadians, I mean, learn the construction of the entire continent of North America. We learn about the Boston Tea Party and the Lousiana Purchase and what not ... but you guys don't have those same lessons. Hell, Newfoundland is home to the oldest city in North America (and I highly recommend you go see it). Halifax was a major port in both World Wars and the site of a major explosion. These are not things I expect you guys learn despite them being pertinent to the development of North America.

12. Flash

Flash Guest

Wanna know why?

Draft saved Draft deleted