1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

newfound respect for mitch albom

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by shockey, Jun 24, 2007.

1. JR

JR Well-Known Member

I was at the first Rock Bottom Remainders "concert" in Anaheim in '92. It was part of what was then known as The American Booksellers Convention (when there were in fact independent booksellers), now Book Expo America.

It was, as I recall, the most anticipated event of the convention. The place was absolutely jammed and the beer was flowing

2. Double J

Double J Active Member

The song, Smith explained, “is about a goon, a hockey goon. It’s this very wonderful, soaring, moving story that’s also bittersweet and very, very funny, about a hockey player who just wants to play hockey, who loves hockey so much, but just sucks at it. The only thing he can do to be on a team is just be the enforcer, just be the guy who goes out there and beats the s— out of people.”

“The song’s been one of my favorites since I heard it and I’ve always seen this whole movie behind,” Smith continued. “I got in touch with Mitch because Warren Zevon has passed on and we started talking about it and he was into it and into what I was kind of pitching.”

Smith is gunning to get the project going in 2010 or 2011, singling out the film from all his other projects as “the one I really want to do in a big, bad way.” It will be set in the late 1970s within the World Hockey Association, before those teams were absorbed into the National Hockey League. “It takes place during the last gasp of the goon era of hockey when it was all about fighting,” Smith said.

This sounds like an absolute MUST-see. :D :) ;D :) :D

3. EmbassyRow

EmbassyRow Active Member

Not intentionally. Why? What'd I do?

4. fishwrapper

fishwrapper Active Member

Albom can play. Flat-out. Anyone been to Pat O'Brien's in The Quarter?
    He had the place on their feet.

Draft saved Draft deleted