1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

newfound respect for mitch albom

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by shockey, Jun 24, 2007.

1. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Albom did the lyrics to a Zevon, hockey song called Hit Somebody.

Great, great song.

Sure, sometimes what Albom writes can be dripping with syrup, but I have read nine great things to one high-fructose special. Not a bad ratio.

2. joe king

joe king Active Member

Mitch is a tremendous musician. Get him behind a piano -- usually Saturday night before the Super Bowl -- and he can play any tune from any musical era you care to name. I remember hearing or reading once that he couldn't read music but could play practically anything by ear just from hearing it once or twice.

3. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

He actually gave music a shot after college--he went to Brandeis. As Joe points out, he is a pretty talented pianist. I believe he gave himself a certain amount of time to "make it," and after some time had passed, he gave up on that dream and went to Columbia where he got an MBA and a graduate journalism degree.

4. shockey

shockey Active Member

if anyone could play by ear, it would be mitch. ;D ;D ;D

but seriously... that's a gift my father has that wasn't passed onto me, sadly. i've tried to get him into listening to springsteen so he could play something other than old show tunes when he visits, but no dice. :( :mad: :(

5. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

No, no, everyone. He said pianist. :)

6. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Nothing can revive Albom for me after reading his books, but I LOVE Zevon.

7. EmbassyRow

EmbassyRow Active Member

And now (apologies if d_b) Albom and Kevin Smith plan to make it into a movie.

http://moviesblog.mtv.com/2009/05/14/exclusive-kevin-smith-making-hockey-movie-with-mitch-albom-based-on-warren-zevon-song-hit-somebody/

8. ifilus

ifilus Well-Known Member

Backed by Paul Schafer's 'Late Night' band, and featuring background vocals by David Letterman.

9. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Does anyone know if Mateen Cleaves was in the audience at this movie?

If Kevin Smith is attached to the project, it will never get made.

10. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

He was one of the regular authors in the band with Stephen King, Dave Barry, and several other authors.

a short clip of the most famous guest to join the Remainders on stage:

and Dave Barry's account of it:
    http://www.rockbottomremainders.com/images/Article-Glory_Days.pdf

11. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

Try getting your father a copy of "Greetings from John Bayless" ... the first seven tracks are a piano concerto of seven Springsteen songs. It's quite different hearing Bruce songs in a piano-only classical frame.

12. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Are you trying to kill me?

Draft saved Draft deleted