1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Newfound love for Brendan Shanahan

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Evil ... Thy name is Orville Redenbacher!!, Dec 6, 2009.

1. Never heard this story before.

http://www.nj.com/devils/index.ssf/2009/12/brendan_shahanan_recalls_some.html

2. Double J

Double J Active Member

Shanny rules.

Where is the link to this story or article or book passage or whatever it is? I'd like to read the rest of it.

EDIT: Thanks for the link. :)

3. BYH

BYH Active Member

Fuck that guy. [/bitter ex-Whalers fan]

4. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

From Evil's link:

5. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

Shanny is the man.

Fuck Rick Vaive, a drunken asshole who managed to win all of three fucking games in one season as a coach in the OHL.

6. Double J

Double J Active Member

I remember when he was a rookie and I read where some of the older guys in the league would taunt him as they waited for face-offs. They would ask him things like, did he hate his mom for naming him Brendan? That always stuck in my mind for some reason. Who knew back then that he'd stick for 21 years?

7. cyclingwriter

cyclingwriter Active Member

To be honest, I had a bad feeling this was going someplace completely different when it started with him and Rick Vaive in a locker together. Funny stort, though, it is fairly common amongst hockey players to hold grudges. John Ferguson (enforcer of sorts for Montreal in the 1970s) used to tell a story about being a stick boy for a minor-league team, watching his idol get clobbered, and then years later settling the score somewhere in the WHL.

8. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Active Member

That's pretty much what he told the Whalers when the organization moved to North Carolina.

9. TwoGloves

TwoGloves Active Member

I covered a guy in the minors who told me he always used to say that to Shanahan when they were both in the OHL!

10. BYH

BYH Active Member

Whalers were gonna move to NC anyway, thanks to piece of fucking shit Karmanos, but Shanahan didn't do anything to help the organization when he demanded out of Hartford b/c it was too small-town for him.

Fuck him, and fuck Paul Coffey too.

11. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Active Member

Thing is, I know Brendan Shanahan wanted out. But Paul Coffey did play for a spell in Raleigh. Dunno if he really had a change in heart or it was because no one else was going to offer him a nice landing spot prior to his retirement.

12. BYH

BYH Active Member

What I remember about Coffey is that he was authentically torn about playing in Hartford, where the future was murky at best. I recall the team saying give us a few weeks, we're pretty good this year, we can make this a place you want to be...and then they got off to a good start, he decided he wanted out anyway and pouted and bitched until he got his wish.

I always thought he was a pathetic hypocrite for playing for the 'Canes at the end. As you note, funny how his tune changes once nobody was knocking themselves over to get him.

Draft saved Draft deleted