1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Newest cheater = Manny Corpas

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by TheSportsPredictor, Oct 4, 2007.

1. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/playoffs2007/news/story?id=3049176

PHILADELPHIA -- Rockies manager Clint Hurdle downplayed video that showed closer Manny Corpas pouring liquid on his body in the bullpen before pitching against Philadelphia in Game 1 of the NL Division Series.

Corpas was caught by TBS cameras on Wednesday taking a sip of a liquid out of a cup and then pouring some down the back of his neck and all over the front of his jersey. Corpas, who earned the save in Colorado's 4-2 win, patted his chest and rubbed his fingers before throwing a pitch.

"I still haven't looked at the tape so I still don't know what happened," Hurdle said Thursday before Game 2. "Until I get further direction from somebody else, I think we'll handle it internally."

Because the Rockies wear black road jerseys, any wet spots would have been difficult to detect. Phillies manager Charlie Manuel said he had nothing to say about Corpas' actions

2. boots

boots New Member

Clint Hurdle has never been what you would call a standup guy.

3. broadway joe

broadway joe Guest

I remember seeing that. Seeing as he took a sip of the liquid before he poured it all over himself, it's pretty likely it was just water. That way he can wet his fingers on the mound without going to his mouth. Seems fine to me.

4. JackyJackBN

JackyJackBN Guest

Cat piss? That would get me fired up. :D

5. boots

boots New Member

Perhaps. But it's a Clint Hurdle team.

6. TheSportsPredictor

Why would you dump water all over the front of your jersey? It's probably something sticky so he can grip the ball better.

7. broadway joe

broadway joe Guest

You dump water to make your jersey damp and you can get your fingers wet. He didn't have time to get his jersey moist with perspiration, so he used water.

EDIT: Buckdub's explanation is equally plausible. Either way, no big deal.

8. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

As long as it wasn't Crisco, Bardol, or Vagisil. Any one of them will give you another two to three inches drop on your curve ball. Of course if the umps are watching real close ...

9. TheSportsPredictor

Or you can spit on your fingers while standing off the mound. A lot easier.

10. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Pretty flimsy to call him a cheat, though...at least at this point.

11. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Not. A. Story.

Draft saved Draft deleted