1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Newark TSA screener charged with pilfering from luggage

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by 2muchcoffeeman, Oct 19, 2008.

1. Rosie

Rosie Active Member

Well, I'll go to the airport.

Just don't ask me to board a plane.

2. Zsaji

Zsaji New Member

Never, never pack anything in checked baggage that you can't afford to lose. Does nobody remember those Samsonite commercials with the gorilla baggage-handler? It happens.

That said, some airlines have TSA screening in their lobbies, so you can WATCH your bag get pawed through and make sure they re-lock your bag. Not all, but some.

A couple of years ago there was an ongoing investigation involving missing electronics. Turns out that a couple of screeners were slapping additional stickers on bags that x-rays showed had interesting contents. Down in the depths of Baggage, another handler would then relieve the bags of these items, well away from any observation. They were caught when the Station Manager and local cops set up a sting. They actually sat up in Operations and watched the whole thing go down.

As soon as you notice a missing item, report it to the airline's baggage claim and to the TSA's website. And use TSA locks, so you know who to blame.

3. Elliotte Friedman

Elliotte Friedman Moderator Staff Member

I told my car dealer once that my keys went missing from my luggage, and he told me to get my locks changed -- and fast.

It's not unusual for keys to be taken, addresses checked on luggage, and either homes broken into/cars stolen.

4. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Funny, I thought federalizing these schmoes was supposed to stop all this shit...

5. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

Ha. Yeah, right.

I have a family member who works TSA at one of the NY airports. He went to work loaded to the gills one day. Before he left, I asked him if what his supervisors would say and he just laughed.

Draft saved Draft deleted