1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Newark TSA screener charged with pilfering from luggage

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by 2muchcoffeeman, Oct 19, 2008.

1. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Among his loot:
    • 66 cameras,
    • 31 laptop computers
    • 17 electronic game sets,
    • 13 pieces of jewelry,
    • 12 GPS devices,
    • 11 MP3 players,
    • 8 camera lenses,
    • 6 video cameras and
    • 2 DVD players.

And then he did the really smart thing ... he tried to sell the stuff on eBay. Of course, he got caught --- investigators bought both the CNN camcorder and the HBO camera from him. Now he's looking at a 10-year sentence.

http://www.nj.com/news/index.ssf/2008/10/airport_screener_charged_with.html
    http://www.newsday.com/news/local/wire/newjersey/ny-bc-nj--airportbaggagethe1008oct08,0,1848965.story

2. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

And Christmas was going to be so good at his house.

3. Rosie

Rosie Active Member

Just add this to long list of reasons why I plan on never flying again.

4. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Send him to Guantanamo.

5. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

How do you do that with no one seeing you?

6. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

I wondered that too. Surely someone else on his crew was in on it.

7. RossLT

RossLT Guest

I used to work for an airline as a baggage handler and I saw quite a few of the guys steal stuff. I never did, I was always convinced I would get caught.

8. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Only in New Jersey...

9. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

If only.

10. Rosie

Rosie Active Member

No, I refuse to fly. Luggage or no.

This is just a bonus, "see, flying's no good!" something to add to the long list.

11. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

Again . . . if only.

TSA personnel are paid poorly, and usually don't have flight benefits. If you have a group of TSA employees who are not well screened during the hiring process, open the floodgates. There are thefts all the damn time, at airports across the country. And police stings to catch the employees turned thieves.

So, for what it's worth, those who fly should know that if you use a TSA-approved lock, you can at least gain some compensation. The locks' special keys are held only by TSA personnel, which means that if something disappears, you know exactly who to blame.

Regardless, people should be wiser with their expensive electronics. Carry your laptops. Put your electronics in carryon bags. I know of dudes who have taken television cameras on flights before, and explained in no uncertain terms that there was no way they would put those things in luggage, both to avoid damage and to avoid theft.

12. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

And to think I'm flying up to FBF International Airport to see you in two weeks...

Draft saved Draft deleted