1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Newark mayor saves woman from burning house

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by micropolitan guy, Apr 13, 2012.

1. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

Sorry is this is a d_b but I looked and didn't see a thread anywhere with an easily-recognizable title (and now this title is even spelled correctly ;)).

Cory Booker also played football at Stanford, as many know.

http://www.latimes.com/news/nation/nationnow/la-na-nn-cory-booker-saves-woman-20120413,0,457562.story

2. Mr7134

Mr7134 Member

There is a great documentary called Street Fight about Corey Booker's 2002 campaign for mayor. I would highly recommend it.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0457496/

3. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

This guy is fucking Batman.

During the blizzard in 2011, he got a lot of credit for personally running around and helping people shovel out their cars and delivering food and necessities to shut-ins.

He was all over twitter responding to requests.

But, this shit is a whole different level. The guy is a rock star.

4. Uncle.Ruckus

Uncle.Ruckus Guest

He's an up-and-comer in the Democratic Party and the hot name to take on Gov. Fatty Fatty Fat Fat.

5. Pilot

Pilot Well-Known Member

I found it strange that he has a security detail. I guess I'd never even considered a mayor needing one. I wouldn't have guessed many governors would even be accompanied home Secret Service style, let alone a mayor.

6. Frank_Ridgeway

Frank_Ridgeway Well-Known Member

If Christie tried this, there would be an impressive grease fire.

7. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

I thought the same thing.

8. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

9. Uncle.Ruckus

Uncle.Ruckus Guest

10. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

When you dial 911 in New Jersey, it patches straight through to Cory Booker's cell phone.

11. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

When Chuck Norris is in trouble, only Cory Booker can save him.

12. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

I think almost every Governor has a security detail. The State Police report up to the Governor, and they supply a detail.

Some Governors prefer limited security, maybe one cop who doubles as a driver. And, they might send them home at the end of the day.

Spitzer would dismiss his detail when he got to his hotel at the end of the day, and before he would go to meet up with his "girlfriends".

I think McGreevey in New Jersey would do the same before he met up with his boyfriend.

Clinton was famous for using his security detail to approach women on his behalf.

I believe it was a State cop who was driving when Corzine got in his bad car accident.

I know the Mayor of Chicago has a detail.

In New York City, Giuliani had a huge detail -- nearly Presidential in size. He had advance cops traveling ahead of him, and a full detail accompanying him at all times.

My friend went to the BCS Championship game (or maybe it was just the Fiesta Bowl at the time). They went by John McCain's house to pick him up. McCain mocked Rudy for the size of his detail. He had Rudy and my friend get in his car, and drove himself -- followed by Rudy's security.

Bloomberg has a much, much smaller detail.

The NYPD police Commissioner and all sorts of other officials also have security details.

Draft saved Draft deleted