1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

New Yorkers Live Longer

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by jgmacg, Aug 13, 2007.

1. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

N-i-c-e....

2. Twoback

Twoback Active Member

First thing I thought of: Walking.

3. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

What possesses a bunch of overfed hicks from flyover states to walk four to six across? Do they think that they will be abducted if they walk in rows of two? I just yell "move" and they normally get out of the way.

Now that I'm working in downtown Manhattan, another question -- why do people flock to the ground zero to look at a what is now construction site?

4. Twoback

Twoback Active Member

Easy, Webster.
    When I visit NYC, which I do every year, I'm coming from a flyover state.
    I'm not overfed, not a hick and never come in more than a party of two.
    Still.

5. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

I bet you also claim not to walk with your mouth open pointing at all of the big buildings.

6. JackS

JackS Member

Even more annoying tourist tendency than walking slowly...

Standing to the left on an escalator. :mad:

7. i definitely thought walking as soon as i saw this thread title. excpet for my two daily commutes, i walk everywhere (I live in Brooklyn, otherwise i'd try to walk to work). Yesterday i had to go from 48th and 6th to 37th and 1st and had no desire to do the awkward cross town commute so just walked it. took about 35 minutes and felt great (wasn't as hot here yesterday as it's been this month)....

8. vicd

vicd Active Member

I used to think New Yorkers walked fast, till every damn one of them got a cell phone. Now they walk as slow as everyone else.

9. jgmacg

jgmacg Guest

Now, now. We don't want to make folks feel unwelcome. Especially when they arrive in town bearing wads of American greenbacks and fannypacks full of travelers' checks. Walk two abreast, please, and stay to the right except to pass. If you stop to gawk at our buildings, or gape at our East Village skin art, please step to one side. Don't consult your Lonely Planet map at the foot of the subway stairs - simply step aside, open the map and one or more of us will be along in about ten seconds to ask, with an authentic tone of weary exasperation, "Where you tryin' to get?" If you need an answer in a foreign language, an additional ten seconds will be required. Never get to the head of the line at the bialy shop without knowing what you want. Regular coffee has cream and sugar. Egg creams do not contain eggs. Papaya King has better dogs than Gray's; but Gray's has better juice. Hold your umbrellas higher than eye-level, please. It's pronounced "Zig-feld", not "Zig-field"; "FAO Shwarzzzz," not "FAO Schwarts." There's nothing in the M&M store but M&Ms. There's nothing in the Hershey store but Hershey bars. Tiffany has nothing under $15. The Prada bags sold on Canal Street are knockoffs. The Prada bags sold out of a car trunk in Rego Park are stolen. Don't follow us out into a busy intersection, you'll be killed. For what it costs to take a carriage ride through Central Park, you could buy a pony. And your driver's not from Ireland. He's an Evanston theater major who dropped out of Northwestern. Donald Trump doesn't actually own all those buildings. Like "Ace Hardware," he licenses the name. He's a very poor businessman and we hate him. Never eat at the Carnegie Deli, or at the Stage - for the cost of a sandwich, you could buy your own pastrami ranch. If you want a sandwich, go to Katz's. If you want cheesecake, try Junior's. If you want to see New York, get out of Times Square. Just don't do it when I'm trying to take my walk. Thanks.

10. vicd

vicd Active Member

Damn straight on Katz's!!!!!

11. cougargirl

cougargirl Active Member

It's gotta be the Jamba Juice. ;D Those places are all over. Love the Citrus Squeeze.

Yeah, that's the trick to a long life in the City. Jamba Juice and a lot of walking everywhere. Stayed on E. 32nd St. a few weeks ago in NYC and walked whenever I could.

12. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

Letterman loves the Jamba Juice. :D

"Jamba Juice, through the tubing ... Jamba Juice, gotta have it ... Jamba Juice, right to Dave now, here it is ... Jamba Juice!"

Draft saved Draft deleted