1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

New Yorkers Live Longer

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by jgmacg, Aug 13, 2007.

1. JackS

JackS Member

I was just joking about "walking speed" with one of our SportsJournalists.com NYC visitors a few weeks back.

See, you friggin' tourists? Speed up, dammit. ;)

2. jgmacg

jgmacg Guest

3. spnited

spnited Active Member

But where are the eggs, jg? ;D

Do you actually use U-bet?

4. jgmacg

jgmacg Guest

You bet. At least most of the time. There's always some Hershey's in the house, too, since they make a couple of reduced-calorie versions. The secret revealed in the recipe above is to stock up on the Fox's U-Bet at Passover, when it's made with cane sugar. Which, to my shame, I do.

5. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

It's the Dr. Brown's Cel-Ray soda. That stuff is the fountain of youth.

6. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Did you read the story?

You were being facetious. But Giuliani surely played a role in the data they are seeing now.

7. The Big Ragu

This was a big part of the story. You nailed it -- without reading it. It cited research that not just walking a lot, but the speed at which you walk, contributes to longevity. All those SJ people who made fun of me in Canada? Suck on it!!!!! Next time I am powerwalking and stepping on you to get by you as you amble along a subway platform, I will just be demonstrating how much healthier I am than you.

I was just thinking about it. I run every morning--well, usually 5 or 6 days a week with other exercise the other days. Usually somewhere between 3 and 6 mile. Aside from the running, to get to place to place, I figured out that even on a day in which I don't go anywhere except to the office, I walk between 2 and 3 miles.

I also have said this before. There are fat people and smokers in NYC, but my perception has always been that you see fewer of them than you do in other places in the country.

8. jgmacg

jgmacg Guest

That's why I always carry a sock full of nickels when I go out walking. "Welcome to New York, slow-moving visitors! Now get out of my way!"

9. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

You're not the only sj member to always have Hershey in the house.

10. JackS

JackS Member

Broadway is the absolute worst. I can usually maintain a decent speed everywhere else.

11. jgmacg

jgmacg Guest

Pedestrian speeds away from the tourist haunts are still pretty good. Having managed to concentrate many of our wonderful, free-spending out-of-town guests in Times Square has been a boon. Unless you actually work at the Times. I believe they hand you the sock full of nickels with your new-hire pamphlet. You'd never make it into the office otherwise.

12. The Big Ragu

I love the sock full of nickels! Man, why didn't I ever think of that? I am actually really good at navigating tight spaces between crowds of people. I've been known to do full-speed spin moves that would make NFL running backs blush, just to get the step on a pack of slow-moving midwesterners walking six across.

Draft saved Draft deleted