1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

New Yorker story on Dr. Oz

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Dick Whitman, Jan 29, 2013.

1. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Long piece, but worth reading, or at least skimming, whether or not you are a fan.

http://www.newyorker.com/reporting/2013/02/04/130204fa_fact_specter?currentPage=all

Michael Specter is a terrific writer - I've said this before on here, but I have a huge admiration for journalists who have a mastery of complex subjects like hard science or high-level banking and can distill it for the masses in a way that's not dumbed down. Specter might be the best at it.

Cliff Notes version: Mehmet Oz is actually a highly regarded heart surgeon and academic. But in recent years, as his star has risen on television, he is giving quacks and quackery something way too close to equal time for his fellow doctors' comfort.

Not sure if anyone here watches his show, but I know he's extremely popular with women. The piece acknowledges the good he's done, but also finds some of the information he endorses troubling.

2. printit

printit Member

I read it. Great piece. Good stuff from his fellow surgeons toward the end.

3. ringer

ringer Active Member

I wonder if his wife even realizes how badly she came off in the piece.

Seems like she's behind a lot of that mularky... including pushing Oprah to call him "America's Doctor."

4. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

He's so far in bed with Big Agriculture his belly button's full of corn stalk lint.

Draft saved Draft deleted