1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

New Yorker story on Amy Bishop

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Dick Whitman, Feb 4, 2013.

1. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Story on the Alabama professor who shot and killed three colleagues at a staff meeting, then was charged 20-plus years after the fact for the murder of her brother. Tremendous job by the writer investigating the brother incident.

Just posting it here in the "give me something to read" tradition:

http://www.newyorker.com/reporting/2013/02/11/130211fa_fact_keefe

2. Awesome!
    Can't wait to read this later.

3. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

I would have preferred it had the lede been about Amy Bishop preparing for the shooting by loading her guns and looking at herself in the mirror while alone in her house.

4. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

I echo Evil's sentiment. It's 15 pages long. I got to Page 2 and realized it's great but it'll have to wait.

5. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Love the reference. But, in all seriousness, I think that the two stories show a pretty stark contrast in the two magazines' approach to the same story (in fairness, Bishop was alive and available and Kazmierczak was not). I think we've touched around these parts before about how there are Esquire readers and New Yorker readers. Once upon a time, these were Faulkner and Hemingway readers.

6. britwrit

britwrit Well-Known Member

Yeah, great article. I just got a New Yorker subscription for Christmas and have been - slowly - working my way through the 1968 issues. When compared side by side, the present-day incarnation is surprisingly better.

7. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

The New Yorker archive is a treasure that always makes me wish that I had more time to explore. Be worth a running thread just for recommended old New Yorker articles.

Love the idea of taking a year at at a time.

8. Small Town Guy

Small Town Guy Well-Known Member

My only problem with the archive is the format. You can only read them via the page screen, right? So for a 1956 story, you have to read it that way instead of just a simple text format. Or is there a way I just haven't figured out? Ton of classic stories, but I'm sure we could also find countless groaners and what the hell stories? Same way as when you go through the SI Vault when people are pining for the good old days. There's a reason Tom Wolfe wrote Tiny Mummies.

http://observer.com/2000/02/tom-wolfe-disinters-tiny-mummies-after-35-years/

9. Norrin Radd

Norrin Radd New Member

Really good article, from what I read. Thanks for posting.

Also shows how Longform, Inc. isn't always perfect. I lost interest when the reporter was in the parents' home. Was great up until then, but it felt like everything that needed to be said had been said.

10. printit

printit Member

Thank you for posting this. Great read.

11. wedgewood

wedgewood Member

Interesting cartoon to accompany this story, huh?

12. Matt1735

Matt1735 Well-Known Member

Printed it out. Will make great lunchtime reading.

Draft saved Draft deleted