1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

New Yorker story on "American Sniper" Chris Kyle

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Dick Whitman, May 27, 2013.

1. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

If you read one story this Memorial Day, make it this one on the life and death of "American Sniper" Chris Kyle and his killer:

http://m.newyorker.com/reporting/2013/06/03/130603fa_fact_schmidle

2. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

His book is pretty good. It's out in paperback now.

3. Dick Whitman

The New Yorker piece makes it sound like you can probably believe about half of what's in there.

Great piece - though long. Sympathetic but tough on both shooter and victim. Not so sympathetic toward the Dallas V.A.

4. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

I take for granted that half of what's in a soldier's autobiography is true. But it's still an enjoyable read.

5. Dick Whitman

Yeah, it's not like the concept of "war stories" began with this generation.

6. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

However Jesse Ventura was defamed in Kyle's book is dwarfed now by the damage he has done to his own reputation by calling attention to it and suing the soldier's widow. Only if he said, "I made my point. She can keep the money" could he walk this shameful episode back. He remains a horse's ass in every incarnation, from wrestler to podunk politician to conspiracy buff to this litigious piece of crap.

7. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Apparently, Ventura doesn't wants the widow to pay him, but the publisher's insurance company. However, the reading of the insurance policy isn't clear.

From the AP:

8. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

I can't believe that the Kyle estate has any money left after the lawsuits from the families of the people he shot from the roof of the Superdome.

9. Dick Whitman

10. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

11. Dick Whitman

Draft saved Draft deleted