1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

New Yorker story: "Kill Company"

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by WaylonJennings, Jul 5, 2009.

1. I feel compelled to draw some attention to a whopper of a story in this week's New Yorker. I'm not too familiar with the writer, Raffi Khatchadourian, other than seeing his byline in TNY from time to time, though I sure as hell plan to be from here on out. Up there with Evan Wright's "Generation Kill" piece in RS a few years ago and "Black Hawk Down" as some of the best dirt-under-fingernails war reporting in the modern era.

The New Yorker requires registration, but here's a link to a synopsis (basically an overaggressive Army commander - same dude as Bowden wrote about in Somalia, as a matter of fact - oversaw the unnecessary deaths of eight Iraqis):

http://www.newyorker.com/reporting/2009/07/06/090706fa_fact_khatchadourian

Lot of great stuff about the internal battle between the "Carnivores" (the military guys who just want to fuck shit up, basically) and the "Herbivores" (the guys who want to, you know, accomplish what we went there for):

Anyway, just a great piece of reporting and storytelling.

2. Del_B_Vista

Del_B_Vista Active Member

A really good example of fog of war. There's a lot in there to comment about, but I did note the enlisted guy's lament that they're the ones who get crushed criminally and the officers get a pass. See Abu Ghraib.

3. Small Town Guy

Small Town Guy Well-Known Member

And Black Hawk Down was just on yesterday with Captain Steele of course being portrayed. This was outstanding, and also reminded me of a story in Esquire about a year ago, which focused on a guy who gave an order for his sniper to kill a guy. The sniper got sent to prison, the commander didn't. Here's that one.

http://www.esquire.com/features/michael-hensley-0708

4. I hate that the American people have Iraq War fatigue right now. There is some very compelling, very important stuff going on there day after day after day.

5. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Waylon I think you have missummarized the story a tad but does not take away from being a riveting one- as usually the New Yorker stories of this type are.

Found it interesting that one of missions was routing out Al Queda - I thought they were not in Iraq.

I doubt surge would have worked if every one was a herbivore. Thank goodness for people like CPT Steele.

You can pull his speech up to the troops before they go into battle on You Tube.

Draft saved Draft deleted