1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

New Yorker piece on Under Armour

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Dick Whitman, Mar 17, 2014.

1. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Unfortunately it is behind their paywall, but a good piece in the new New Yorker (the "style" issue) about Under Armour and its growth from a start-up to today's seeming ubiquity:

http://www.newyorker.com/reporting/2014/03/24/140324fa_fact_sanneh

As often as I see Under Armour gear - and wear it myself - I was somewhat surprised that Nike still outsells it 10-to-1.

Anyway, I figured this story might be of interest to the readership here.

2. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

I think it was Darren Rovell who pointed out that Stephen F. Austin was the only Under Armour school to reach the NCAA tournament.

That's got to hurt from an exposure standpoint.

3. Dick Whitman

The story also addresses the failure of the U.S. speed skating team in Sochi.

4. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

My biggest issue I've found with UA stuff is that sizing is night and day different than Nike.

In Nike Stuff, I'm an XL. In Under Armour, the XXL is considerably smaller than the Nike XL.

It's really annoying and I know a lot of people who have had the same issue.

5. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Is basketball their thing though?

And, they've only recently gotten into the "exclusive outfitter" game on a large scale. They currently have only 13 schools under contract.

6. Dick Whitman

Notre Dame was a huge recent get for them. It'll be interesting to see where it goes from there. I suspect kids love UA. This is the dumbest ass thing in the world, but I suspect it'll boost recruiting at Notre Dame. It was a pretty deft move by a typically stodgy institution, although it was probably by accident. They'd wear Lululemon if the price was right.

7. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

I know when Auburn dumped in-state company Russell Athletic for Under Armour about 10 years ago, people in Alabama lost their shit.

8. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

I think most UA gear is meant to fit skin tight to begin with, so that may be the issue that you're running into? I find that their compression shorts fit me like any other brand - a large is a large. But, yeah, when I wear a large UA shirt, it fits tightly.

Overall, I love UA clothing, though it is pricey.

9. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

In 2000 or 2001 I envisioned Under Armour becoming a giant and I wanted to invest in the company if they went public. Then I saw the huge billboard in the Wrigley ivy and knew it had taken the next massive leap.

But I never found the time or money to invest. Opened at 31 in '05. Today it's at 120.

Sometimes the monetary Gods beg you to listen.

10. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

It seems like just about every PGA Tour pro under 30 is wearing Under Armour.

11. Kato

Kato Well-Known Member

My kids (boys 15, 13) love it -- hoodies, sweats, T-shirts, under-jersey gear for baseball and hockey. It's all they want. I never hear them talk about Nike or other big brands.

12. H.L. Mencken

H.L. Mencken Member

Um, what? Name one other than Mahan and Speith.

Richie Fowler? Puma.
    Rory McIlroy? Nike.
    Patrick Reed? Callaway.
    Dustin Johnson? Adidas.
    Charles Schwartzel? Nike.
    Webb Simpson? Izod.
    Keegan Bradley? Hillfiger & Oakley.
    Jason Day? Adidas.

Draft saved Draft deleted