1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

New Yorker on A-Rod, Boras

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by thebiglead, Oct 23, 2007.

1. thebiglead

thebiglead Member

Beyond tremendous.

http://www.newyorker.com/reporting/2007/10/29/071029fa_fact_mcgrath?printable=true

Many great paragraphs to pull, i liked this one ...

"Boras told me that, in the fall of 2000, as he was preparing for Rodriguez’s free agency, a producer from ESPN approached him about filming the negotiation process. “I looked at the producer and I go, ‘Who in their right mind would ever do such a thing, to disclose the intimate negotiations between you, the people you deal with every day, the teams, and everything?’ And he called me a day later and said, ‘Oh, yeah, Jeff Moorad’s going to do that.’ I’m going, like, ‘You found a pigeon that quickly?’ I was taken aback that anyone, particularly a lawyer, would ever do that.” Moorad, who is now the C.E.O. of the Arizona Diamondbacks, was then Boras’s biggest rival in the representation business, and, according to Jerry Crasnick, in “License to Deal,” a book about a year in the life of a self-loathing agent named Matt Sosnick, their competitiveness spilled over into the Newport Beach Little League. When Boras donated money to the program, and one of the local fields was renamed in his honor, Moorad bought the biggest outfield sign as an advertisement for his own firm. Moorad was also famous for throwing lavish All-Star Game parties, which Boras found distasteful and demeaning to the profession—just like the ESPN video segment, which showed Moorad fielding competing offers for the slugger Manny Ramirez and, eventually, settling on an eight-year, hundred-and-sixty-million-dollar deal, or the second-biggest contract in baseball history, after A-Rod’s. “That is the most staged, nonsensical thing,” Boras now says of the video. “Basically, the deal was done before the thing even started, so it was a hoax.” (Moorad disputes this characterization: “Watch it yourself.”)"

2. JoelHammond

JoelHammond Member

Very long, but very good. Read it yesterday, I was intrigued.

3. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

A great ending to that piece.

4. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Well, yeah.

Real writers, there.

Draft saved Draft deleted