1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

New Yorker critic breaks embaro on "Dragon Tattoo," defends it in arrogant email

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Dick Whitman, Dec 5, 2011.

1. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

I don't see how any journalist could side with the critic on this one. I don't care if the idea of an embargo on a movie review is stupid. I don't care if the producer of the movie is an asshole. I don't care about the critic's bullshit explation.

All of that is irrelevant. He signed an agreement. He failed to honor it. That is reprehensible on his part.

As far as I'm concerned, it is like a source asking to talk to a reporter off the record, the reporter agrees, then quotes the source about the off-the-record material anyway.

2. Greenhorn

Greenhorn Active Member

Why sign it in the first place? It's a good mag with sophisticated readers in a busy city. They could wait until later to read a review if they hadn't already decided to see it beforehand because Fincher's track record is as good as anyone's in Hollywood.

3. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Can someone explain to me what "the Daldry" means at the end of the Denby email?

4. Greenhorn

Greenhorn Active Member

Dick, Stephen Daldry is a critics' darling British director. His new movie is based on a 9/11-themed novel starring Tom Hanks. Daldry also directed The Hours and The Reader (neither of which I've seen).

Draft saved Draft deleted