1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

New York Times story on Aaron Kushner

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Mr. X, Oct 19, 2014.

1. Mr. X

Mr. X Active Member

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/10/20/business/media/for-aaron-kushner-a-difficult-foray-into-newspapers.html?smid=tw-nytmedia&seid=auto&_r=0

2. Tucsondriver

Tucsondriver Member

Nothing here that any of us who've been following this don't already know. That's fine and dandy (national and regional papers do that all the time) but somehow I felt the NYT missed an opportunity to contextualize the story. At the very least a quote from a Ken Doctor-type about what the OC Reg saga says about the state of print in 2014 wouldn't have taken that much effort and probably would've made the story a little more interesting.

3. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Haven't clicked yet but I think the better story (if they didn't touch on it) is the comparison between Kushner and Paton. Both strove for the same thing but chose different avenues to get there. Neither, as it turned out, had the right answer, if there is such an answer in 2014.

4. SnarkShark

SnarkShark Well-Known Member

You knew he was a competitive gymnast?

5. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

I didn't know the company (supposedly) is having a profitable quarter.

And that Kushner was being sued by seemingly everyone he's done business with.

6. SnarkShark

SnarkShark Well-Known Member

Are you profitable if you don't pay your bills?

7. Tucsondriver

Tucsondriver Member

Got me!
    I've heard him say all kinds of shit, but his assertions don't count as facts. I knew he was on the receiving end of multiple suits, but true, I didn't know the extent of it.

8. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Line 1: Don't believe that one for one second.

Line 2: Old news. He's got lawsuits flown at him left and right since coming to Grand Avenue.

The only real "news" here was the last sentence of the third graf, and it's no surprise to those who have been inside the building and following this thing very closely: "And he confirmed there would be additional layoffs at Freedom Communications, in a year in which job cuts have already been made."

Draft saved Draft deleted