1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

New York Times sports reporting

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by mr.scottnewman, Mar 7, 2008.

1. I know I am being -- redundant.
    However, Mr. Flying Headbutt -- please let me know who you are, what you do now, what you've done -- and what you are doing personally, and/or for your outlet -- to improve the situation. I don't have all the answers, or else I'd be retired in Hawaii--however I have some possible solutions because I've been blessed to work with great people in different industries. I'd love to hear your ideas. Thanks.

2. 21

21 Well-Known Member

Well, I'm off to go monetize. Everyone have a good day.

3. funky_mountain

funky_mountain Active Member

but before you leave to monetize, who are you 21?

4. Boobie Miles

Boobie Miles Active Member

Wow -- this thread -- is amazing.

5. ballscribe

ballscribe Active Member

I love that word "monetize." (for those using the Queen's English, probably "monetise").

But here's the definition:
    1. To establish as legal tender.
    2. To coin (money).
    3. To convert (government debt) from securities into currency that can be used to purchase goods and services.

People who use it tend to "misremember" what it actually means.

But it's usually used by suits who have yet to actually concretize it, as in "we need to make money off this internet thingamajiggy, but we, to this day, still have no friggin' clue as to how to go about it.

"Hey, reporters, can you help us monetize the internet? We moneymen (and women) don't seem to be making much headway in this monetization thingy."

C'est tout.

(And yes, ballscribe is a "she" as well) ;-)

6. Booby, you're right? All I wanted to do was congratulate a friend/professional on a good week--and we've ratcheted it up to criticizing -- without solutions -- at a new -- level. Here are a few questions that I hope will generate some positive dialogue:

How would you be covering the steroids issue? what stories have you broken? and what stories haven't you done because your research shows the readers aren't interested in it? Since resources are a problem, could you go to the local college's journalism program--grab a few students, take your local team's media guides for the past 10 years, and start calling everyone--and ask them what they knew about steroids, et al? If we're going hyperlocal, wouldn't we want to try and contact everyone on the local team. If a paper, say in St. Louis, rather than the NYT was leading the pack on the national steroids investigation, would they not do it? Would they use it as a platform to drive traffic by getting the story on the Drudge Report, or ESPN.com?

if you got a tip on harvard basketball -- and had the story--would you run it? or where would you allocate your resources? Could you use the story nationally, again on the major sites, to drive traffic back to your site with a link-back, and generate more unique visitors, something advertisers want? How ' bout breaking this story? and pairing it with a columnist, who writes if Harvard is doing this, who else is doing it--and driving traffic to a blog or message board.

7. jgmacg

jgmacg Guest

And the same to you. I'll be writerizing all day if anyone needs me.

8. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

Autobots -- WRITERIZE!

[​IMG]

9. 21

21 Well-Known Member

My god, how did we not think of this?? All these major news outlets working the steroids story -- and we overlooked the college kids and the media guides!!

Scott, please. Call your friend Tom Jolly and ask him to read your posts here. Maybe he can explain why you're acting like a complete clown.

10. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

I don't know. I think M Scott Newman is on to something. Since the business side of newspapers have failed to fully monetize the news side, let the news side take advantage of the free pool of labor at local college. Another good source of cheap labor might be stay at home moms who are tired of running bake sales for the local PTA. Tough times call for tough creative thinkers.

11. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

[​IMG]

12. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Wait until Lugnuts sees this thread. He'll be pissed

Draft saved Draft deleted