1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

New York Times sports reporting

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by mr.scottnewman, Mar 7, 2008.

1. WriteThinking

WriteThinking Well-Known Member

mr.scottnewman,

As one newbie to another, let me say welcome to the board.

Anyone with your background, current perspective and stated standards should be welcome here, and I actually think you've made some good points about the need for, and the importance and under-appreciation of, reporting as the foundation for the best stories/writing.

Writing talent and style, it seems, often trumps reporting in terms of its perceived value, and this sometimes leads to the masking of problems (see the "Now that's a correction" thread for an example of this) in stories because they sound good, or paint a picture so well.

As for anyone's wish for anonymity, and this board's adherence to it, however, please don't be put off. You can always PM people, and ask them about themselves, should you have personal questions. And then, at least, it will be up to them whether or not they share the information with you privately.

Especially these days, in our business, there is a need/desire to discuss, commiserate, console and cajole amongst ourselves, and this is a place where we can do so, freely, and, hopefully, safely.

I think most of us wade in at our own risk after lurking for a while, and then, by turns, we find the conversation and camaraderie so cool, comforting and collectively gratifying and fun, that we trust each other not to be turned in (or rather, out) unless we ourselves make that call.

I hope you'll enjoy it, as well. And as much.

2. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Mr Scott do you like Broadway Musicals?

3. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Helllooo, NEWMAN!

4. 21

21 Well-Known Member

I had 2 pm in the pool.

5. dooley_womack1

Well, I wasn't around in the afternoon, so that skewed the result.

6. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

You never can count on the daytime crew around here.

7. dooley_womack1

True dat. Would have been the second or third post if the night crew would have been around.

8. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

I'd say it's more because there are no more clacking typewriters, no more clacking wire machines, phones that are not as loud, no running back and forth to the composing room (and shouting at them), a printing press sometimes many miles away . . . and the ability to communicate like this (instead of shouting across the room).

9. WriteThinking

WriteThinking Well-Known Member

You forgot one other key factor contributing to the change: As has been noted in devastating fashion in some downright depressing threads the past two weeks, there are simply way fewer people in said newsrooms, too.

10. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

And is that the fault of the reporter or the editor who forces the reporter to do more with less? Or, perhaps, the beancounter who forces the editor to force the reporter to do more with less?

11. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

If your name was already registered, wouldn't you use a middle initial instead of slapping a "mr." in front of it?

12. Friend of the friendless ... YD ... Do you like Broadway Musicals?
    Now I am confused;

All I wanted to do was congratulate a friend and a section for a good week

I wish the sentiment would save the business ... but it's going to take many people on the board to do the best reporting they can -- in a hyperlocal setting -- and the business side to start generating ideas that'll monetize the content

Not that easy, in this new world -- as evidenced by McClatchy, Lee, and Gannett stock's cliffdive over the past year

Luck everybody--and as many say here -- thanks for stopping by

Scott

Draft saved Draft deleted