1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

New York Times promotes Clinton, McCain for primaries

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by pressboxramblings07, Jan 25, 2008.

1. jakewriter82

jakewriter82 Active Member

What's sad is how true that statement is. :-(

2. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

I know no such thing. Show me what he said that crossed the line.
    This is what you guys still don't understand. Putting a Kerry or Clark or Cleland up doesn't and shouldn't end all policy debate. We can admire theire service, say thank you, and still think that they are wrong on some issues involving war & peace.

3. Guy_Incognito

Are you one?

4. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

As far as ever bringing any substance, any link you'd post to back up any of your points would be your first, so I ain't bothering. Just following the 2004 races and remembering how ads painted Cleland as unpatriotic, and knowing that many people remember that, is enough for me.

5. Nay.
    I was eligible for the draft, and in Naval ROTC, when I was of age.
    Didn't get called. Left ROTC.
    Oh, and here's a Republican at the 2004 convention, debating the merits of our defense posture with John Kerry.

[​IMG]

6. jakewriter82

jakewriter82 Active Member

I agree. But wouldn't you say a man or woman who's served on foreign land and has been toe-to-toe with the enemy knows a little more about what makes terrorists tick than someone who's only heard about terrorists through memos or grainy film messages? Especially a guy who's a POW, in McCain's case? Granted being an expert on terrorists doesn't make someone a great president, but that wasn't the argument.

7. Guy_Incognito

OK, but I find it difficult to respond to nothing. Unpatriotic is your word, I didn't see it, but I didn't live in the state, so there's alot I missed. Enlighten me, or stop throwing out accusations and telling me that I know that you're right. I don't.

8. Guy_Incognito

Not necessarily, but even if so, any policy debate has experts on both sides, and we, the laypeople, are asked to chose between them. If I think that the other side is right on the merits, that will outweigh even the most honorable and impressive biographical history.

9. Guy_Incognito

I meant are you a bloodthirsty revanchist who doesn't give a rip about who dies for his ideas.

10. I think probably not.
    Cue the, "Do you support any use of military force at all ever and, if so, doesn't that make you the same" yadda-yadda.
    The answers are yes, and no.

11. Guy_Incognito

Is there a why anytime soon (other than "because I'm right & they're wrong")?

12. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Oh, I'm sorry, being posed with Saddam Hussein and Osama Bin Laden in TV campaign ads is perfectly savory business. Never mind.

Draft saved Draft deleted