1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

New York Times May 24 front page

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Mr. X, May 24, 2020.

1. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

Nice.

Liut likes this.
  2. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

It won Twitter and parts of Facebook. It's a nice keepsake.

Perhaps the word "incalculable" is meant ironically which, to say, when you're trying to be grave, you shouldn't use. So some other word there would have been good.

3. Fredrick

Fredrick Well-Known Member

If there are mistakes in there, INEXCUSABLE! Oh wait, excusable. They probably have one copy editor working on the weekend. You get what you pay for. No holiday weekend overtime probably led to screwups.

HanSenSE and Sports Barf like this.
  4. cjericho

cjericho Well-Known Member

Were the suits working?

5. gingerbread

gingerbread Well-Known Member

I don't know how you can read these and not be moved.
    "Hailey Herrera, 25, budding therapist w/a gift for empathy ... Georgianna Glose, 73, renegade nun who ran a non profit anchor ..."

Also, as a friend of mine posted, it's reminiscent of this from the the Chicago Tribune's front page on Dec. 31, 1903, the day after the Iroquois Theater fire.

Last edited: May 25, 2020
    HanSenSE and wicked like this.
  6. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Except that someone has mentioned that the correction was made.

As Twirling Time noted, a lot of effort to tear down an obvious effort at an exceptional effort of journalism. Trying THAT hard to reside in Bitterville?

PaperClip529 likes this.
  7. Sports Barf

Sports Barf Well-Known Member

Typical Gannett. How many of those people listed as dead would have been laid off or forced to work 70 get paid 40 if they stayed alive?

oh sorry this is Fredrick’s burner account again

BurnsWhenIPee likes this.
  8. Monday Morning Sportswriter

Monday Morning Sportswriter Well-Known Member

9. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

That’s quite a few errors for compilers.

10. britwrit

britwrit Well-Known Member

There's also precedent for screw-ups even on a bigger scale. Like some of the names on the Vietnam Wall memorial are misspelled ("scores" says the internet.) 25 people who survived the war are listed as dead.

11. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

12. PaperDoll

PaperDoll Well-Known Member

Since so much effort went into the web version, it would've been appreciated to have links back to the each individual story. I didn't write any of them, but I know quite a few people who did.

If The New York Times was trying to shine a light on individual people from individual communities, why not take that next step and support the individual local publications and journalists who made their project possible.

I guess the question is whether seeing a block of text on the front page is moving, or reading the stories of each individual who died from complications of COVID-19. To me, it's the latter.

Draft saved Draft deleted