1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

New York Times May 24 front page

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Mr. X, May 24, 2020.

1. Mr. X

Mr. X Active Member

From a journalism standpoint, I'd like to know what people think of the front page of The New York Times from May 24, listing the names of those who died in the U.S. from the coronavirus.

2. Terrific front page, and it only includes 1,000 names. Poignant. Respectfully. Telling.

I remember years ago a Boston Globe columnist did something in which he just listed all the people who had recently died due to gun violence. Made a stronger impact than anything he could have written.

RonClements and Tweener like this.
  3. PaperDoll

PaperDoll Well-Known Member

Except one of the names is actually a murder victim, and another has an incorrect hometown -- which calls the accuracy of the entire project into question.

Also, the online version lists all the local papers from whose features The Times cribbed... but those aren't named accurately. There are quite a few given a "The" where it doesn't belong. (That seemed to be the default!) I'm hoping all the links are correct, but I also noticed they just go to the homepage -- not the individual memorial story.

Liut likes this.
  4. Mngwa

Mngwa Well-Known Member

I think it brings a physical presence to the abstract idea that 100,000 strangers have died.

5. JimmyHoward33

JimmyHoward33 Well-Known Member

Hot mess. Besides the accuracy questions raised above, its too gray, breaks most rules. Was clearly designed to win an award or win Twitter over serving a reader.

Then again those rules were designed to sell papers. No one buys papers anymore. Winning Twitter is the new way to create buzz over a good photo or layout that directs the eyes to various stories; so maybe those old rules don’t apply

Liut, Bronco77, cjericho and 3 others like this.
  6. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

Better than that blank sports front.

The space is used to tell a story.

They're both gimmicky, though.

Liut likes this.
  7. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

Did you break your hip hiking up your leg to shit on a pretty poignant journalistic effort?

8. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

The Trump golfing replies all over social media fix the obvious design flaws, which W_n_lw_y doesn't care about.

swingline likes this.
  9. WriteThinking

WriteThinking Well-Known Member

I like the idea of the project, although I agree it's probably geared and meant more for the online editions of the paper. It is quite a journalistic effort.

In print, I'd rather have seen the names listed on an inside page, I think. Even a prominent one like, say, Page 3, might have been better, perhaps in reverse, with white print on a black background, or with a graphic of the coronavirus cells we've all become so familiar with in a faded gray behind the writing.

That said, I'm going to see if some relative of mine still living in New York could please mail a hard-copy edition to me. I'd love to see it first-hand. I think my impressions might be different.

10. WriteThinking

I understand your points and kind of agree, graphically speaking. But basic newspaper arguments also could be made to counter those points, too. Specifically, that what readers really care most about is names, names, names.

Locally speaking, especially, that's what things like obituaries, nuptials, sports roundups, Little League and Girls' Softball capsules, and agate are all about, and why those things have always been so much a part of newspapers.

Last edited: May 24, 2020
  11. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Didn’t work for me. I think of the NYT front page space as sacred and that treatment, at this time, baffled me. Like someone said, maybe if I held the paper in my hand I’d feel differently. Seeing it on my wife’s phone, as it was, didn’t have the same impact.

12. WriteThinking

Another issue/danger I would be wary of in a project like this is, you'd hate to leave someone out of such a published list, if they should have been included. That seems bound to happen.

And if you do decide to have only some, as are on the front page of the NYT, how to choose who goes where in something of this scope and range.

Draft saved Draft deleted