1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

New York Times makes a hire

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Moderator1, Aug 9, 2008.

1. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

From The Pipeline, not all the news is about cuts:

Jonathan Abrams Joins Sports Staff

Jonathan will cover some pro football for us in his first few weeks on the staff and then join Howard Beck in covering pro basketball. He starts on Sept. 8.

As is our custom, we asked him to introduce himself:

"Jonathan Abrams joins the New York Times after spending three years at the paper formerly known as the Los Angeles Times. After a year covering the Clippers (yes, there is professional basketball beyond the Lakers in Los Angeles) and honing his skills reporting on a team that loses three out of four games, he is confident the same skills can transfer over to the Knicks, when necessary.

2. Babs

Babs Member

Zing!

3. GBNF

GBNF Well-Known Member

Solid hire. Abrams is a young stud (24, I think, maybe still 23), and he's very professional. P

Nice guy, too.

4. da man

da man Well-Known Member

Doesn't exactly come across as professional with that nasty shot at the LA Times.

5. GBNF

GBNF Well-Known Member

I think everyone there is a little wound up after the recent cuts. Doesn't excuse it, but might explain it.

6. BYH

BYH Active Member

Good for him, taking that shot.

It was well-deserved.

7. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

Feel bad for all the former effin' studs who, at 29 or 30, might be too long in the tooth to get hired by the NY Times.

If you get hired by the NY Times at 24, where do you go from there? Likely answer: To ESPN by age 27. Nice of NY Times to develop talent for the parent club.

8. SoCalDude

SoCalDude Active Member

Moddy, your pipeline must be as clogged as that guy's toilet in anything goes. This was posted Tuesday.

http://www.laobserved.com/page2.php

9. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Yes, it is clogged. Too much shit coming out of Atlanta!

10. Small Town Guy

Small Town Guy Well-Known Member

Spirited might be able to help you out with that clogging.

On that blog posted above, Abrams clarified his swipe at the Times. I read the LA Times pretty much every day during basketball season. Abrams was good, but light years behind Bresnahan as far as writing (and Tim Brown going back a few years ago on the basketball beats there), I feel.

11. This is going to reek of bitter jealousy, but can someone please explain this to me. If this guy is really 23 or 24, what could he have possibly done in his career to deserve a job at the Times? I find it hard to believe there aren't other reporters just as talented who have, you know, some experience or something.

12. BYH

BYH Active Member

How old are you to think experience is a positive?

26?

Draft saved Draft deleted