1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

New York Times Knicks/NBA writer

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Left_Coast, May 24, 2007.

1. LATimesman

LATimesman Member

I don't understand the love for Marc Spears. I read him in the L.A. Daily News. He was average at best. I don't think he has gotten any better. Check out this paragraph in his latest column:

Mike Conley said his son, Ohio State point guard Mike Conley Jr., could be drafted as high as No. 3. Conley Sr., however, said his son probably won't work out for nonlottery teams, which would exclude Chicago.

A. There's an objective source, the player's father / agent.
    B. Can you figure out what the second sentence means?

2. leo1

leo1 Active Member

sounds like something steve aschburner would like. (no i'm not steve)

3. Editude

Editude Active Member

Tom's a good guy and a good SE for the Times' mission. And they're known for taking the occasional smaller-market chance on someone with talent.

4. Buckeye12

Buckeye12 Member

Brian Windhorst in Akron is the guy they need. He's covered the Cavaliers for a few years and he's a young up-and-comer. He actually knows how to use the Internet and understands how to find sites that can help him, unlike some of the older salts, including those on his own staff, that pontificate without facts.
    Windhorst's stuff is routinely picked up by ESPN.com because he's that good.

5. Brian Windhorst is a good call. Didn't he cover LeBron in high school, and that's how he got the Cavs job? And he's killed that job, becoming one of the top NBA writers in a short amount of time. Great call.

6. Bruhman

Bruhman Active Member

There's also precedent: the New York Times hired Chris Broussard from Akron.

7. Moland Spring

Moland Spring Member

So who left/got promoted?

8. Ohiowriter

Ohiowriter Member

The word is Howard Beck is moving to general NBA and Liz Robbins is taking leave to write a book. The Times is also without a Nets writer as well at the moment. In the past they've used interns/stringers on that beat methinks.

Windhorst is excellent and he works as hard as anyone. Not only are his stories a must read every day if you follow the Cavs, but so is his blog which he's been doing for many years, way before all our papers made us start doing them.

I heard he interviewed at ESPN and at Yahoo over the last few years so maybe he looking for a net gig.

9. MGoBlue

MGoBlue Member

What's the big woop here?
    Just copy and paste and you, too, can get hired by the Times.

10. Dale Cooper

Dale Cooper Member

What happened to John Eligon on the Nets beat?

11. Moland Spring

Moland Spring Member

Am I missing something with the cut-and-paste crack?

12. danhawks

danhawks Member

Sorry, never been a Windhorst fan, been reading the ABJ for years...just my two cents while everyone else is stroking the dude.

Draft saved Draft deleted