1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

New York Times Knicks/NBA writer

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Left_Coast, May 24, 2007.

1. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I'm guessing that Miami's Israel Gutierrez will be a serious candidate. I know he's turned down the NYT a couple times, but never for a NBA job...

2. Izzy has used NYT leverage already to be an occasional Herald columnist. (Not that I blame him.) But I bet you're right ............. We could lose him.

3. leo1

leo1 Active Member

well micro, let me be the one to bring joy to your heart: you're hired!

4. jfs1000

jfs1000 Member

Quick question. How do you send electronic clips? What kind of format is the best presentation.

I have no idea how I would even do this.

5. Cadet

Cadet Guest

Then you probably shouldn't apply for this job.

6. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

ZING!

7. Double J

Double J Active Member

No, no, no...... he's hired!

8. aeroking

aeroking Member

OK, I'm sure I'll get lambasted for this, but what are the changes the Times would take a look at someone who has done a bang up job covering preps for the last 6-7 years? I've always felt like you learn more doing the nitty-gritty of being on a high school sideline than sitting in a press box. Well, whatever, I'm applying. What's the worst that happens? They can only say no if they have the chance to say yes.

9. HoopsMcCann

HoopsMcCann Active Member

10. You'll never know unless you try. Send it.

11. I heard that there was a writer, back in the day, who went from covering preps at the old Miami News directly to the Washington Post. Bill Brubaker, I think. Does that sound right to any of you old-timers? :)

12. Frank_Ridgeway

Frank_Ridgeway Well-Known Member

I'm not sure about his resume, but he is a special talent. Wrote sports features for the NY Daily News in the early 1980s, as I recall. He works news-side at The WashPost.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2007/03/23/AR2007032300743.html?nav=emailpage

http://projects.washingtonpost.com/staff/articles/bill+brubaker/

Draft saved Draft deleted