1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

New York Times Knicks/NBA writer

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Left_Coast, May 24, 2007.

1. Left_Coast

Left_Coast Active Member

The New York Times has an opening for a writer to cover the NBA/Knicks. Previous coverage of the NBA is not essential. We are looking for a writer who thinks broadly and sees the larger story, spots trends, has a proven track record on deadline and a package of clips that demonstrates range from breaking news to game stories to takeouts. Email clips and resumes to jolly@nytimes.com or huck@nytimes.com
    Note: we are moving buildings June 8 so for now, email is better than paper.

2. Surely this can't be real. I'm sure the second this job came open it had every tom, dick and harry on the east coast flooding the inbox with resumes. Am I wrong here?

3. tyler durden 71351

tyler durden 71351 Active Member

They're probably doing this as a formality. Some poor intern in HR will spend his/her time deleting shitloads of resumes from dipsticks who think that they're ready to cover the Knicks after two years of covering Hooterville Community College sports. Meanwhile, the Time is offering the job to some f'n stud.

4. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

So that must mean that Chris Snow and Mizzougrad are the finalists. :D

5. Dale Cooper

Dale Cooper Member

Where was this posted?

6. Who WAS covering the Knicks? Howard Beck?

7. Frank_Ridgeway

Frank_Ridgeway Well-Known Member

I don't know about that. I haven't tried them in 12 years, but twice I found them surprisingly receptive to unsolicited applications by me. They can be haughty in lots of ways, including at the interview, but my experience with two SEs (not the current one), was that their attitude was you never can tell what's going to come in through the mail, let's give him a look. They've been pretty egalitarian that way with me and others. I think they go their own way on people and don't seem to care much what other journalists think. Normally in a competitive market, you would want an NBA writer to have NBA experience so he or she will bring a shitload of sources to the job -- this person has to compete against Frank Isola, among others, and Isola is terrific. Yet they seem more worried about how this person can see the big picture longterm than whether he'll get beaten by the tabs a few times come November. You make a traditional hire and you get traditional coverage -- and that doesn't seem to be what they want. For good or ill or both.

8. Left_Coast

Left_Coast Active Member

But that's pretty much their entire section. The Times had the NBA officiating study story and no one else did. I like their section a lot and they have terrific writers.

9. CaliforniaRed

CaliforniaRed Member

Where has Howard Beck gone?

10. jambalaya

jambalaya Member

Something's funny in the City. No way Jolly, as nice a guy as he is, would throw out his email address like this asking for the avalanche of resumes that's sure to hit him in...3, 2, 1.

11. It's legit.

12. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

I think it would be a pretty great moment in anyone's career to hear "You're hired!" in regards to this job.

Draft saved Draft deleted