1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

New York Times Coming After UK's John Wall, DeMarcus Cousins?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Deeper_Background, Mar 8, 2010.

1. Deeper_Background

Deeper_Background Active Member

Wall, Cousins Under The Microscope???
    Revised 3/08 3:19 pm

There are now two sources, one a member of the national media, who indicate there is a race to reveal some NCAA transgressions by UK frosh stars, John Wall and DeMarcus Cousins.

I am told that the investigations concern cash money and, perhaps, real estate.

There are two nationally known media sources who are, according to sources, scurrying to obtain the last bit of evidence that will allow them to publish the story. One, I’m advised, is the New York Times. The other, one of the major online sports sites.

As per usual, neither of my sources mentioned UK coach John Calipari by name. Only the players were named.

This is all I have at this time. Frankly, it’s not much. But, the facts are these. 1) John Calipari has a track record that would not rule out such a situation. 2) These two players, by their actions, indicated they would have played for Calipari at North Dakota A & M, if that’s where he was coaching. 3) None of the Tobacco Road schools surprisingly gave a serious look at Wall, though he was a local kid.

It will be interesting to see if anything comes of this. Or, if it’s just idle gossip. Stay tuned.

– Seedy K
    http://score.leoweekly.com/2010/03/08/wall-cousins-under-the-microscope/

2. Den1983

Den1983 Active Member

Re: New York Times Coming After UK's Wall, Cousins?

Color me shocked.

3. Deeper_Background

Deeper_Background Active Member

Haven't got much time before the tourney if they are going to run it. My guess is Yahoo Sports will beat the OG's to the punch

4. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Don't believe this. Cal is smart enough to get his boys safely into the NBA before the smell gets too bad.

5. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Deeper Background is reporting that reporters are homing in on Eddie Sutton and Chris Mills. More on this story as it develops

6. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

YOU LEAVE DEMARCUS COUSINS ALONE!!!!

7. Crash

Crash Active Member

Fact checking can be your friend:

1) Both NC State and Duke recruited John Wall. Hard.
    2) Wall's supposed handler tried to steer him to Baylor, not Memphis or Kentucky. When Calipari took the Kentucky job, Wall hadn't committed to Calipari yet.
    3) Cousins wanted to play for Mike Davis. It was UAB's fault he's not there right now. When UAB balked on the one thing Cousins asked for (a stipulation that he could get out of his LOI if Davis left UAB), Cousins committed to Memphis, then followed Calipari to Kentucky.
    4) These kids are going to be able to afford any piece of Lexington real estate they want in about three months. Why would they take it now?

I'm not saying it couldn't happen...but there are too many "facts" that aren't anywhere near correct in that blog post. And as much as I love the LEO for its alternative views on music and politics, sports isn't its strong suit.

8. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

I bet Dan Wetzel is in the middle of this. Remember the articles about UCONN and UCLA last year?

Of course, nothing happened to UCONN, so I anticipate nothing is going to happen here.

9. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

I was just going to say that Yahoo and Wetzel had to be the on-line organization investigating this.

10. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

If you can't trust a blogger named Seedy K., who can you trust?

11. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Consider the thread starter.

12. MacDaddy

MacDaddy Active Member

My money's on Bleacher Report.

Draft saved Draft deleted