1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

New York Times' "byline beast"

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by 85bears, Jun 22, 2006.

1. 85bears

85bears Member

2. SCEditor

SCEditor Active Member

When it comes to bylines, I got this guy beat. I doubt there's anybody who's going to catch me.

3. franticscribe

franticscribe Well-Known Member

422 bylines in a year may be a lot for the New York Times, but I would venture it's fairly pedestrian compared to much smaller newspapers.

Anybody who has been in a two byline a day shop would've hit 500 a year even if they took two weeks off.

4. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I used to put a byline count in reviews. 360 was average for a sport writer. Had guys routinely with over 500 bylines in a year and they weren't mostly metro briefs.

650 may have been the top.

5. PeteyPirate

PeteyPirate Guest

That guy is an effin stud.

6. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Anybody remember reading a story by this guy and checking the byline to see who did such great work? I'm a Times subscriber and I didn't.

7. OneMoreRead

OneMoreRead Member

This is a rough estimate, so don't jump on me too much. But there's roughly 25 weeks in the NFL season, from training camp until the end of December. Most NFL beat writers at papers without two people on the same beat have to work at least six days a week. At my paper, our beat guy does a story, sider and note everyday during the season.

Look at the math: 25 weeks X 6 days a week = 150 days; 150 days X three bylines a day = 450 bylines in about six months.

You can go more conservative and say a story and notes every day, and that beat reporter is still turning in 300 bylines in a half year.

Mr. Chan is doing a good job. Put him on a big league beat and he'll start doing some real work.

8. SCEditor

SCEditor Active Member

Granted I'm at a different kind of newspaper than most, I'd venture I produce more than 1,000 bylines per year. Maybe even closer to 1,500.

9. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

422? I'm not impressed. How many message board posts does he have?

10. flaming_mo

flaming_mo Guest

This dude seems like he'd be a real blast to work with. (/sarcasm).

11. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

This is an awfully long story about a young reporter doing what he's supposed to do -- report -- and, as noted, he's probably far short in byline count of a lot of people who post here -- and those they work with.

Draft saved Draft deleted