1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

New York Times: Bill Clinton supported a dictator

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Chi City 81, Jan 31, 2008.

1. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/01/31/us/politics/31donor.html?_r=1&pagewanted=1&hp&oref=slogin

The basics of the story, for those who don't have sign-on name for the NYT, are:

Bill Clinton, who was a direct associate of a Canadian mining mogul, publicly supported Kazakhstan's president.

Two days later, the mogul's company was awarded a contract to mine uranium.

Here's the money graf:

Just months after the Kazakh pact was finalized, Mr. Clinton’s charitable foundation received its own windfall: a $31.3 million donation from Mr. Giustra that had remained a secret until he acknowledged it last month. The gift, combined with Mr. Giustra’s more recent and public pledge to give the William J. Clinton Foundation an additional $100 million, secured Mr. Giustra a place in Mr. Clinton’s inner circle, an exclusive club of wealthy entrepreneurs in which friendship with the former president has its privileges.

I wonder if this story will get legs. Either way, this dwarfs anything Obama ever had to do with Tony Rezko.

2. pallister

pallister Guest

You're just a part of the vast right-wing conspiracy.

3. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

You just knew when Bill took the front of the campaign this stuff was going to start coming out.

4. Yawn

Yawn New Member

Well, once again, Che has no chance. And since Edwards has become a quitter before winning a bunch of states in the Midwest on Tuesday, it's Barack's nomination.

5. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

If enough of these types of stories surface about the candidates, maybe sooner or later the general public will start to care.

Until then, both Clinton and Obama have shown a near-immunity to having things like this stick.

6. He supported a dictator? Besides Hillary?

7. Yawn

Yawn New Member

Slick Hillary?

8. Yawn

Yawn New Member

All I want to do, and I would give up my career tomorrow to do so, is to write Chelsea Clinton's biography.

9. JackyJackBN

JackyJackBN Guest

Ewwww factor:

[​IMG]

10. Ruth-Gehrig

Ruth-Gehrig Member

Imagine that, a politician being influenced by foreign money. ::)
    Not in our country. ;D

11. Giggity

Giggity Member

A couple things about Kazakhstan, if you're not familiar with it:

Kazakhstan is the greatest country in the world. All other countries are run by little girls.
    Kazakhstan is the No. 1 exporter of potassium. Other Central Asian countries have inferior potassium.

12. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

Kazakhstan is also the home of Tinshein swimming pool, it's length is 30 meters and width six meters. Filtration system is a marvel to behold. It removes 83 percent of human solid waste.

Draft saved Draft deleted