1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

'New York Times' Bans the Word 'Tweet'

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by YankeeFan, Jun 11, 2010.

1. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

http://www.theawl.com/2010/06/new-york-times-bans-the-word-tweet

Do Times readers really not know what Twitter is, and if they don't, will they understand what you're saying even if you write it differently?

I suppose a comparison that's been discussed here might be Tommy John surgery. A quick explanation of what that is may be appropriate. But if you don't know what Twitter is, I don't think a quick explanation is going to be worth much.

So, is this dumb? And are they really trying to uphold standard English or are they "dumbing down" their copy for their audience?

2. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

This is similar to how you've still got to say (formerly Division I-AA) when referencing the FCS.

You can't wait for your slowest reader all the time.

3. spnited

spnited Active Member

Or you can just call it Divison 1-AA, which is what it is.

4. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

applause!

5. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Using the word "tweet" > Quoting some athlete's gramatically challenged tweet

6. Mystery Meat II

Mystery Meat II Well-Known Member

No, it's the FCS. That's the official name. Maybe we don't care for it, but we're not doing anyone any favors by calling it something it no longer is.

7. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

"Old fuddy duddy" is still an acceptable term at the NYT.

8. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Posts like this are why I love you. Even if you are an idiot.

9. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Mystery Meat the Second is right. It is absolutely Football Championship Subdivision. When a corporation changes its name, we use the new name. Same case here.

10. DisembodiedOwlHead

DisembodiedOwlHead Active Member

Mr. Duddy on second reference.

11. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Nice...

12. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

FCS is a changed name from an established organization. That's not the same thing.

Tweet is jargon and if a newspaper doesn't want to use it because they don't think it's English, that's their prerogative. What's wrong with calling it a "Twitter post" or some such? We call them "Facebook posts" not Facebooks or Facebeek.

Draft saved Draft deleted