1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

New York Times, again

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Pendleton, Mar 26, 2009.

1. HorseWhipped

HorseWhipped Guest

Fixed. ... Sorry, pet peeve.

2. Small Town Guy

Small Town Guy Well-Known Member

That's the way I read it as well.

3. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

What are the odds the temporary pay cuts don't become permanent? 100/1? 1,000/1?

4. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

My guess, believe it or not, would be that the odds are pretty good they won't, but I might be completely overly optimistic.

5. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

They are, after all, the best and the brightest and we need to pay them properly to retain them. The laws of supply and demand are at work in this marketplace.

Wait, I'm confusing this with AIG.

6. clutchcargo

clutchcargo Active Member

In terms of semantics, I'd rather have afurloigh than what the NYT is doing, unpaid vacation days or whatever.

With furlough, you are forced not to work, to do work phone calls, to deal with work email. Amen to that. You are forced to gear it down, and your boss can't bother you, period. With the unpaid vacation deal the NYT is doing, though, you are subject to work phone calls, orders from your boss to work an extra couple hours, compelled to read your email, etc.---in other words, it ain't a vacation at all because all the umbilical cords are still there.

7. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

I may be confused but I thought it was a 5 percent cut in pay with 10 paid days off added in for the year.
    Is that wrong?

8. Matt1735

Matt1735 Well-Known Member

I may be confused, but isn't that what I said?

9. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

You'll be "paid" in more days off, but you're still losing 5%. It's not money; it's time you're gaining. It IS a little confusing.

Also, and I'm not really joking: You're losing 5% in pay, so going somewhere fun on those 10 days is going to be less of an option, although obviously some of those people are paid really well.

10. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

http://www.heraldtribune.com/article/20090326/breaking/903269967

Regional group employees get half what the NYT employees get, so a 2.5 percent cut and five extra paid days off. And yes, they are paid.

Friend who works at one of those papers found out about the cuts via ... Twitter. (She was off today.)

11. Tarheel316

Tarheel316 Well-Known Member

I'm at one of the regional NYT papers. My boss called to tell me about it this afternoon. I don't like it but at least we aren't an MG shop.

12. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

How does giving out paid time off help cut costs?

Draft saved Draft deleted