1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

New York Times: A War We Just Might Win

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by old_tony, Jul 31, 2007.

1. Boomer7

Boomer7 Active Member

I can understand this sentiment completely. But what if the mission is an ill-conceived one, or it's been botched beyond repair by the brass? Do you keep fighting (and losing men) simply for the sake of persisting, to prove that the men who perished over the last four years didn't die in vain? What if the most honest thing to say is, "Your husband/son/daughter died in the wrong war at the wrong time"?

2. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Don't they know they're supposed to be reporting from the safety and comfort of Amman?

3. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

really? so a soldier is facing a third tour and s/he doesn't want to admit it's hopeless? no shit?

sounds like the description of a detriot player the week before the lions are set to play the colts.

4. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

I'm not going to get into a major dispute with you, but as a military veteran who did serve in the Gulf three times, I will say that no soldier, Marine, sailor or airman wants to admit they're fighting a losing cause. Otherwise, how could they face each day?

5. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

nail, meet head o' hammer.

6. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

In other words, I will never believe positive word from a soldier on the ground about a war about which I've already made up my mind.

7. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

Yes, because that's exactly the words I used. ::)

Try being part of the solution, Guy, not part of the problem. And unless you've served, you know not of what you speak.

8. jgmacg

jgmacg Guest

9. Guy_Incognito

The point is, that you've made up your mind, and no argument or presentation of facts is capable of changing it, because by definition, anyone who disagrees is wrong, even if they are alot closer to reality than you are. Doesn't make you wrong, but it improves the chances that you are.

10. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

I'm not going to take this argument to such a petty level with you Guy, but you're wrong in all of that. I never said I had made up my mind. That's simply you deciding that I have, based solely on your beliefs. Good for you, but, well...

I'll say it slowly so you'll understand...
    The average sailor, soldier, Marine or airman does not ever want to believe they've been set up for failure. The only things many of them have to sustain them is the support of their own people within their unit, and their family, which often is way too far away to help as much as they'd like. If they can't believe the military in which they serve, that's a rather large kick in the gut. So many choose a desperate sense of optimism in the face of contradictory evidence.

11. Guy_Incognito

You are exactly correct - not a clue. Care to translate for the civilian?

12. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

where did the "positive word" come from?

Draft saved Draft deleted