1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

New York story in Sacramento paper

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by YoungSportsScribe, Jul 19, 2006.

1. A-Rod unplugged!  :eek:

What's surprising is that the Q&A was not done by a New York paper.  ;D

It was done by none other than the Sacramento Bee's very own Paul Gutierrez, formerly of The Times.

http://www.sacbee.com/content/sports/story/14278733p-15087540c.html

Thoughts?

2. I just realized the link sends you to the paper's login page to access the story. That's upsetting because it didn't do that to me when I clicked on the link.

If you take the time to register it'll be worth it but for those who won't, here's an excerpt of the Q&A.....

Q: A main criticism from both mainstream America and the Latino culture is that you are seen as a sell-out, that your public persona is so polished that you're not real.

A: Well, if you have two DUIs and a domestic-violence abuse (arrest) or something, they call you 'Real' or whatever. Anyway, to me I take the advice my grandma (Leonel Navarro) once gave me. She said, 'Take the high road because there's no traffic up there.' And the truth of the matter is, when it's all said and done, you treat people the way you want to be treated.

And the thing is, if you really want to know who someone is, you've got to go around and ask teammates, coaches. You've got to go around and ask former teammates because they'll tell you the truth because you're not there anymore; they don't have to be political. You can go to Texas; you can go to Seattle; you can go to my high school coach; go to my seventh-grade teacher. That's how you know who somebody is. For me to sit here and say, 'Oh, I'm this and I'm that?' That doesn't mean (expletive). You've got to go back and check. I can go back to your college or the L.A. Times or Sports Illustrated. I know I can find out some things about you and they're going to be most real, that maybe you won't tell me. Good or bad.

3. I just re-read it and it startles me that A-Rod opened up to someone who is not a Yankees beat writer.

Doesn't it boggle your mind?

4. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

You're trying too hard, young lad.

5. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

Why would ARod open up to a New York writer?

All he's heard this season is "He chokes. He's not clutch. He's not Captain Jeter. Look, he's sunbathing hours before a game!"

Jesus H. Tap-Dancing Christ on the Cross, he's one of the five best players in the game and he's blamed for everything from the Kennedy assassination to the recent heatwave.

6. DisembodiedOwlHead

DisembodiedOwlHead Active Member

Selena had a good column in the NYT today on A-Rod. I fall somewhere between that and what HB said ...

7. soccer dad

soccer dad Guest

boy does arod sound like a self-righteous, self-serving prick in that q & a.

8. spnited

spnited Active Member

Sorry, folks, nothing new here. I don't exactly call that A-Rod opening up.
    Bob Klapisch spent a few days with A-Rod in Miami pror to the 2005 season, got much more revealing stuff than how the Latino community perceives him.
    That Klapisch story also was the source of A-Rod's quotes about being in the gym at 7 a.m. in the off-season when other guys are taking their kids to school -- a quote that a bunch of idiots in Boston took as some personal affront, without ever reading the piece, of course.

9. shockey

shockey Active Member

not always a big selena fan, but the a-rod column today is excellent. 8) 8) 8)

10. ThomsonONE

ThomsonONE Member

There must be some traffic since he has to share the road with Denny Green.

11. Columbo

Columbo Active Member

It's incredible.

ARod is the best player in baseball.

He is an absolute credit to the Latino community.

But, because he can speak perfect English and hasn't beaten down his bitches, he has no cred.

And, I'm officially sick of Yankees fans being called intelligent. They handed in that card when they started this vendetta. They're probably pissed that his English is more intelligible than theirs.

Morons.

12. shockey

shockey Active Member

correction: a-rod WAS the best player in baseball when he was a shorstop.. he's not the best as a third baseman. 8) 8) 8)

but i totally agree with your points otherwise. ;D ;D ;D

Draft saved Draft deleted