1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

New York State: Consensus Reached on Religious Exemptions in Gay Marriage Bill

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by YankeeFan, Jun 24, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

What choices another person makes are not going to affect me directly. On that point I agree.

The reason I oppose legalizing this is that it sends a message that it's somehow OK to be gay, to do your own thing. I disagree with that, just as I disagree with having an abortion, having adultery, etc.

True, people have to make their own choices. But increasingly society seems to have no morals any longer. Sad, but they reap what they sow.

2. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

That's a very valid issue. No church, business or individual should be forced to act against their own beliefs. If they want to discriminate, take your business elsewhere.

3. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Let me just say on behalf of the 21st century: Oy.

4. Mark McGwire

Mark McGwire Member

Dude, I'm positively gay.

Just love how if you only read YF's take on it, you'd think the GOP singlehandedly ended discrimination against gays over the objections of Democrats everywhere.

Don't you have a sheet to iron?

5. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

Now, somebody please explain how the various states can continue to prohibit polygamy.

Maybe it's because I'm re-reading "Under the Banner of Heaven," but that thought did occur to me this morning.

In a rather lively Twitter DM exchange I've been having with Gene Weingarten (yeah, I dropped that name, I'll pick it up later) he suggests that "outlawing polygamy does not discriminate against a minority group." I would suggest that polygamists, like the homosexuals before them, would rather disagree with that statement.

6. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Considering how the vast majority of homosexuals voted for Obama, he should do more for them than just lift Don't Ask, Don't tell, but he probably just did that so he could have more troops to fight all of the wars that he keeps getting us into. :D

7. HC

HC Well-Known Member

Just because homosexuality becomes acceptable doesn't mean it's a 'choice'. I don't understand your analogy here. I think the evidence is pretty strong that our sexual preference is something we're born with and we need to accept that.

8. Beaker

Beaker Active Member

Um, wow. Being gay isn't a choice, it's a characteristic people are born with. Are we really going to tell people that it's not OK that they were born gay? Should we go back to telling people that it's not OK that they were born African-American or Hispanic too?

9. Mizzougrad96

Apparently, Tracy Morgan would prefer that his son is straight. :D

10. Beaker

Beaker Active Member

Jeebus effing christ. Guess you're against the last half-century of civil rights decisions too. Might as well bring back Jim Crow.

11. Mizzougrad96

What would prevent the president from coming out and declaring that gay marriage is legal in the United States? Could he even do that if he wanted to, which Obama clearly doesn't.

12. JakeandElwood

JakeandElwood Well-Known Member

You are such a pussycat.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.