1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

New York State: Consensus Reached on Religious Exemptions in Gay Marriage Bill

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by YankeeFan, Jun 24, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. zimbabwe

zimbabwe Active Member

Isn't "straight liberal" an oxymoron?

2. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Dust is holding out for full marriage rights to his coffee pot.

3. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

I asked him that once. He didn't answer the question.

4. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

F-bat: Will YankeeFan give the bride away?

5. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

Valid points. Maybe this is best left to the states. There were a few brave Republicans in New York tonight, and it's interesting to see how they'll get treated by the electorate. I don't have, pardon the Obama expression, "skin in the game" so to speak, but this could be a state vote that tilts the playing field.

6. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

You are far from the only one who has asked him that.

7. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

Whatever the merits of so-called "gay marriage," a hunt in which I do not have a dog at this time, at least it's being pursued in the political sphere, by building some sort of popular consensus and doing it in the various legislatures.

8. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

Wouldn't care a bit. I'd just make sure that they were prepared to turn the other cheek to the simple-minded hatefulness of people like you.

9. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

I see the Democratic senators who used to oppose gay marriage getting more heat over this than GOPers who switched their vote.

10. vicd

vicd Active Member

This should make St. Pete's Gay Pride Parade a little more festive today. Wish I had an "I Heart NY" T-shirt to wear.

11. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Which 'polls in NY' are those? Any links?

I assume your "Why bother to even vote?" question is rhetorical. Unless you honestly don't understand the mechanics of representative government.

12. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/06/25/nyregion/gay-marriage-approved-by-new-york-senate.html?pagewanted=2&_r=1&hp

Of course, you've never been one to let facts get in the way of a good argument before, and I'm sure you're not about to start now.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.