1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

New York State: Consensus Reached on Religious Exemptions in Gay Marriage Bill

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by YankeeFan, Jun 24, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. farmerjerome

farmerjerome Active Member

I'm very proud of my state right now, and the Republicans who had the heart to vote against their party and vote for equality.

No pissing matches here, just very happy.

2. printdust

printdust New Member

Jerome: Your liberals must be really confident they can get re-election, because once again, the polls in NY seem to show they weren't very happy with taking this action.

Of course, this is America. Why bother to even vote?

3. terrier

terrier Well-Known Member

While New York legislators make positive history tonight, the RI House votes to tax visits/photos with Santa. Bastards.
    The RI House passed civil unions, which the Senate president vowed to support, but she's giving off the vibe that she won't put it in the floor. The House Speaker, who is gay and gave up on SSM for a civil unions bill, is looking like Neville Fucking Chamberlain right now.

4. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

C'mon, 'dust, this is your opening to get bestiality passed.

5. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

It's gonna happen. And I say this as a conservative. It'll come down to a landmark Supreme Court decision ala Roe v Wade.

If it does, there's bigger things to worry about. Like, jobs... the economy...

6. printdust

printdust New Member

You guys can have the eastern seaboard. We'll keep Texas, the South, and the proud people of California who are fighting the judiciary and Hollywood, learning that in America, votes don't count for shit.

7. printdust

printdust New Member

B
    Only after the balance of the Supreme Court shifts. Right now, it wouldn't stand a chance.

But when it does, besides the polygamists...

Smokers should challenge to have their constitutional "right to do what I want to my body anywhere I choose" put back in place. They're also oppressed. I could come up with a few more oppressed, but that's enough for our courts right there.

8. waterytart

waterytart Active Member

We're going to re-litigate smoking? Is Ken Starr running out of money?

9. printdust

printdust New Member

Serious question for you straight liberals out there. Given the preference, would you rather your children be straight or do you not care either way?

When/if this becomes a national law (by virtue not of the electorate but by powers that tell the electorate what they must follow) and society normalizes this by rule of law, and one day they come home from school saying "But Dad/Mom, it's normal either way so I'm going that way," will you be able to accept it, knowing that in their view, it's like picking between apples and oranges at the supermarket and not JUST a genetic predisposition?

10. gingerbread

gingerbread Well-Known Member

Serious answer: I wouldn't care either way, because I'd assume they'd surround themselves with people who love and respect them for their character and not their sexual preference.

Serious question: How is your marriage or the marriage of any heterosexuals threatened by gay couples having the same rights as you?

11. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

That is an excellent question. I was just looking over a story on the State Assembly website about the cap. Looks like some of the rumored exemptions that the Democrats were pushing for aren't there.

The sad part is everybody in New York is going nuts one way or another over the Marriage Rights Bill, but the tax cap is going to have a MUCH bigger impact on their daily lives and it is going to do some significant damage to public education in the state.

12. RagingCanuck

RagingCanuck Guest

Speaking as a parent and someone who already lives where gay marriage is the federal law of the land, I absolutely do not care.

You're assuming a lot with your apples and oranges metaphor, as well, and I reject that portion of your reasoning.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.