1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

New York starts sharing

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Mediator, Feb 14, 2009.

1. Shifty Squid

Shifty Squid Member

Um, well, the good news is you won't have time to spend any of your (non-existent) money. Maybe you can get the paper to pay for a hotel when you're in NYC and just live out of Marriott. It's gotta be some kick-ass Marriott points to stay in one every single night for an entire baseball season. Or at least until they lay you off.

I can see the thinking here. "Hey, I BLOG! for free now. They're willing to pay me something and give me the chance to meet Jeter? My friends will freak!"

2. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Yessir.

3. inkfingers

inkfingers Member

SL had a couple of kids covering Mets last year, and their inexperience showed, big-time. Some of their gamers were just horrible. Now it appears their Yankee writer, and their baseball columnist, both of whom were OK, are gone in the recent SL buyouts, along with last year's kids.

So to me, the Daily News copy, while a step down in prestige, will be a cheap step-up in quality, in print. A port in the storm of a down economy. And will readers in NJ really notice the prestige factor?

Online is a different story. Sending your readers to links at other newspaper websites for gamers is not a great way to keep readers on your site. But maybe having these new young writers blogging will keep people interested.

4. casty33

casty33 Active Member

I spoke to someone at the Ledger yesterday and the situation is this: Daily News will provide game stories for Mets and Yankees, the two newcomers at The Ledger will write features plus monitor the web site and keep updating it all day.

As someone who spent many years trying to build The Ledger's reputation in the baseball world, I don't like it, but it's apparently happening in other areas as well, so what can we do about it?

Draft saved Draft deleted