1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

New York prep football team cancels rest of season after player's death

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Steak Snabler, Sep 25, 2013.

1. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

http://blogs.buffalonews.com/preptalk/2013/09/westfieldbrocton-cancels-remainder-of-football-season.html

The team apparently voted to cancel the season, though the superintendent signed off on it. But this seems a little extreme.

We had a similar situation here a few years ago. Starting fullback for a local team collapsed in the third quarter of a game due to an undiagnosed congenital heart problem and never regained consciousness before being pronounced dead at the hospital.

And the team not only finished the season, but they finished the game. Not sure I agreed with that either, but I'm not sure canceling the rest of the season really helps a bunch of teenagers move on more than a return to routine would.

The fact that the team was 0-2 and apparently going nowhere probably made it an easier decision. It's also by all indications a pretty low level of football, so this is not exactly Mater Dei or Odessa Permian voting to cancel its season.

Still, I'm surprised by the move.

2. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

"in 5 years football will be gone" / Long Term Listener.

3. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Oh, Boom. Your trolling used to be entertaining.

Tough call, but it sounds like the kids were pretty shaken and not interested in playing anyway. Hard to send them out there in those circumstances.

4. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Eh, if the players don't want to play, fine. I'm sure some might be thinking: "That could have been me".

5. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

But ... he wouldn't have wanted us to play on without him ...

Draft saved Draft deleted