1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

New York Post to increase price

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by PHINJ, Apr 21, 2007.

1. PHINJ

PHINJ Active Member

How much of the Post's circulation gain can be attributed to cutting the price to a quarter in New York, and how much will they lose now?

Rupe's losing $70 million a year there...wowza.

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/04/21/business/media/21post.html

2. PHINJ

PHINJ Active Member

To answer my own questions, I would say:

A lot, and not as much as you might think. The new push to sell yearlong subscriptions for $13 probably netted them enough cushion that they can feel secure to make this move.

3. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

Just 13 bucks a year for the NY Post? Is that just Sundays, or 7 days?

4. Frank_Ridgeway

Frank_Ridgeway Well-Known Member

If I didn't hold the NYT in such high esteem, I wouldn't be this disappointed with the weak-assed editing that allows items such as "the paper’s losses, estimated to be about $70 million a year." While I understand why someone can't be quoted, I think we deserve some idea of what kind of source is making this estimate. Someone inside the Post? Competing newspaper executive? Industry analyst? Newsroom rumors? This is a pretty specific figure, not a range, and discerning readers ought to expect at least some hint as to how knowledgeable the source(s) is. Shitty job by the NYT.

The news is surprising since they seem to have the Daily News running scared. I really can't guess what will happen with the price increase.

5. RokSki

RokSki New Member

Murdoch just uses the Post as one of his American propaganda outlets, so he just takes the money hit on it.

6. fishwrapper

fishwrapper Active Member

Yep. Rupert Murdoch amassed his fortune taking money hits.

7. RokSki

RokSki New Member

No, no, no. You have it all backwards.

First you make the fortune, then you can throw away money like Murdoch has done on the Post for years.

8. As a matter of fact, yes, if you read any competent biography of the man -- start with Shawcross.
    NYP is still overpriced.

9. britwrit

britwrit Well-Known Member

Yeah, if you read any profile of him, Murdoch is supposed to be a real newspaper-loving-guy deep down at heart. Give him a good juicy tabloid like the Post and he's a (somewhat) happy camper.

10. Ralphie

Ralphie New Member

The Post loses $70 million, the Yankees lose $25 million, it means nothing. Murduch and Steinbrenner are laughing all the way to the bank.

11. RokSki

RokSki New Member

Yep. You don't go into sports ownership looking to make money, that's a golden rule.

Murdoch does love newspapers, which is why he's content to lose money running the Post.

12. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

We forget that Rupe and/or News Corp. can write the Post's losses off as a tax deduction. As Rupe makes piles of money elsewhere, the Post becomes valuable for that very reason.

Draft saved Draft deleted