1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

New York Post raises price to $1.00

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by YankeeFan, Jun 15, 2012.

1. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

What does your paper cost?
  2. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

What's the NYDN?
  3. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

The New York Daily News, but that's not the point.

4. Frank_Ridgeway

Frank_Ridgeway Well-Known Member

They are 75 cents, but my guess is they will match the NYP's increase soon. A 25-cent increase for a 500,000 daily means $125,000 PER DAY in additional revenue. You are going to lose some people, but overall it will be worth it. My paper is a buck and we make profit on circulation, which is not the way this used to work.

Put it this way: A lot of papers lose subscribers when they increase the price, but you seldom see those papers reverse field with a price decrease. The Post tried underselling the News for a while (dropping its cover price to 25 cents), and it worked for a short time, but if that had been a good strategy longterm they would have stuck to it.
  5. apeman33

apeman33 Well-Known Member

50 cents daily, $1 Saturday. Thing is, we held the line at 35 cents for so much longer than everyone else around us that sometimes I wonder if it created a cash-flow problem we've never quite dug ourselves out of. (I think there was a point where the paper out of the rack was 35 cents and the per-day cost of a subscription was 33 cents, so it made almost no difference.)
  6. Frank_Ridgeway

Frank_Ridgeway Well-Known Member

Conversely, in the mid-1990s I worked at a place that lost about 20 percent of its circ by going from 25 cents to 35 while the other daily in the city held at 25 cents (and didn't really gain readers, just didn't shrink). The publisher told me it was a mistake that he had signed off on but that wasn't his decision. I am assuming that corporate forced him. On the other hand, he did not say it cost us money, just that it cost us market share. And we did not respond to the loss of customers by dropping the price -- you rarely see that.

At some point there is a balance between lost circ and the increased revenue you make per paper. And I guess that would be a complicated equation that might or might not affect your advertising rates down the road.
  7. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

I have to be honest...If I was living in NYC, commuting to work every day, I would buy a NYP and probably rather just throw a buck at the guy and keep going, instead of waiting for a quarter that will just take up space in my pocket all day.
  8. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

The local rag, which is not 1/100th as interesting as the NY Post, is also $1 a day.

By that comparison, I'd say the NYP is a bargain.
  9. Brian

Brian Well-Known Member

This has always been my contention. I don't care if you price something 50 cents, 75 cents or 98 cents or a dollar. I hate carrying change so much that I'd rather just pay the dollar and not jangle the rest of the day.

The local rag I work at is 75 cents. We tried to undercut our competition at 50 cents for about a year before we caved.
Draft saved Draft deleted