1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

New York pizza

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by TwoGloves, Oct 25, 2019.

1. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

So, as you know for the most part the various Rays are not related.

For my money, though, the Famous Ray's, which was at 11th St. & 6th Ave. and closed about 7 or 8 years ago was a killer slice. I really miss it.

It was everything I normally don't like in a slice of pizza, a doughy crust, a cow's worth of cheese on each slice, but I lived near there for a few years a long time ago, and I wasn't shy about stopping by. They also did a really good salad slice with lettuce, tomato, onion, oil and vinegar over their marinara, which made me feel a bit less guilty about eating one of those heart attack slices. I really had to put limits on myself in that place.

2. Deskgrunt50

Deskgrunt50 Well-Known Member

Definitely not the best. Just a personal soft spot. First NYC slice I had, as a kid, long before I moved here.

3. X-Hack

X-Hack Well-Known Member

Pino’s and Prestos in Cleveland Circle near BC are about as close as you’ll get. And there are a couple of Italian style places where I live in Metrowest. But neither are as good as the worst pizza in NJ or LI. I grew up in Michigan so I didn’t grow up on NY pizza but even Dominos and Little Caesars are better than the Greek style shit you get at the typical “House of Pizza” in Mass. Their subs suck too.

4. Severian

Severian Well-Known Member

Apparently Apple HQ in Cupertino has some of the best pizza.

5. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

In NYC for a few days. Hit up one of Bourdain's favorite spots, Pizza Suprema. Packed with Blue Shirts. Ovi and the Caps in town.

Think Azrael once said he likes Suprema too.

[​IMG]

Was struck by the sign ... not so much that it's the #1 slice in NYC but that there were 370 places surveyed.

[​IMG]

6. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

Best New York pizza I ever had was in Kissimmee Florida.

jr/shotglass likes this.
  7. Regan MacNeil

Regan MacNeil Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Spartan Squad and matt_garth like this.
  8. The Big Ragu

So this is just one opinion. ... There are better slices than Pizza Suprema. ... even though it feels like a lot of the best slice places have gone out of business over the last 10 to 20 years. And that isn't to rag on Pizza Suprema at all, because it's a decent slice of pizza, and I will stop in there for a slice if I am nearby. But for me, it is really good only in the context of the really shitty pizza places (which seem to be increasing in number) up and down 7th and 8th Avenue, including the 99 cent slice places that put melted plastic on their pies and call it cheese. You are right, the real beauty of this place is that it is right in the shadow of the Garden. You nailed it on when you went there with Rangers fans lined up to grab a slice before heading into a game. That is exactly what I think of when I think of Pizza Suprema. That and if you get there right before rush hour and see commuters who are going to be running to catch a Long Island RR train after they grab a slice.

9. Hermes

Hermes Well-Known Member

It’s my theory you could pick the pockets of dozens of New Yorkers if you simply started an argument over pizza in a crowded room.

garrow and Azrael like this.
  10. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

Someone just told her the best New York pizza is in Kissimmee, Fla.

11. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Can't say definitively what the best pizza is I've ever had, but unquestionably the best calzone was from Jerry's Pizza in Middletown, Conn. About the size of an NFL football sliced lengthwise. Ricotta and mushroom version was pure yum.

12. The Big Ragu

You should definitely try to pick the pockets of dozens of New Yorkers, and see how well it goes for you. :)

Seriously, most people I know in NY (and I know a few), don't really spend a lot of time trying to rank the pizza places. I feel like I am an anomaly on this. Food isn't a huge deal to me, and I don't eat a lot of stuff. Food is a really big deal to V, and she will eat stuff (like French Bistro. ... blood sausage, rabbit, mussels type things) that I wouldn't eat with her mouth. We're so different. But pizza makes me happier than 95 percent of things in the world. I could eat it every day, like whole pies a day, if I didn't regulate myself. And I take it really seriously, to the point that I used to regularly travel to try the places with good reps. I'm like this with pizza places and really good Southern Italian restaurants in NY in general (red sauce, pasta, cheese is my weakness).

Spartan Squad and Woody Long like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted