1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

New York pizza

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by TwoGloves, Oct 25, 2019.

1. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

There is also a John's (sit down place) on 44th and 8th, which gets a lot of the pre-broadway show crowd. It's good, but maybe a notch below some of the places we're discussing (just one man's humble opinion, though) and I prefer the John's on Bleeker St., although I can never figure out if they are actually related. If you do John's / Time Square, the house salad is good. ... their salads come in big bowls, can be shared by a table and all of them are seasoned and dressed really well.

2. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

Been to John's on 8th and it was great, best pizza joint I have been to is Pizza Suprema which came highly recommended by a guy I know who works for the Rangers

3. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

Just take metro north to new haven for the best pizza

4. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Pepe's?

Or Sally's?

5. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

Both.

But if put to the decision, I'd go with Pepe's because my good buddy is the general manager.

6. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Thanks to Ragu for updating the Grimaldi's situation. In some ways, it was better to grab a pie in Hoboken, where it was a little easier to get a table and enjoy. That was all a few years ago ... *sigh*.

Didn't know the backstory. And, by all means, listen to these folks. They will NOT steer you wrong. I'm not native ... for the time being, anyway.

7. swingline

swingline Well-Known Member

I ate at Juliana's a couple of years ago during my only trip to NYC. Damn good pizza. Pair it with a Sixpoint beer, and you're set.

8. X-Hack

X-Hack Well-Known Member

I would imagine pretty much anyplace in NY other than a Sbarro, Pizza Hut or Domino's is better than the best pizza up here in the Boston area. I lived in NJ for a couple years as a teenager and you could find a better slice at any random nondescript strip mall than you could anywhere in New England (most of it is the Greek-style crunchy crust, sweet sauce, weird cheese garbage that my kids swear by. Any pizza from a place that calls itself a "Spa" or a "House of Pizza" is absolutely to be avoided, especially if it also advertises "Syrian bread" as an option for its subs. Stick with the gyros).

9. justgladtobehere

justgladtobehere Well-Known Member

Greek pizza is a scourge upon the earth. It sucks beyond any comprehension.

10. TwoGloves

TwoGloves Well-Known Member

Heading toward Brooklyn soon!

11. The Big Ragu

Make sure you pack some heat.

12. The Big Ragu

Hey. ... if you haven't left yet, assume you are going to Grimaldi's or Juliana's. If you have room left afterward, head down Water Street, about a 3 minute walk from there into DUMBO afterward, and if you like really good chocolate, check out Jacques Torres on Water St. You can't go wrong with anything there. ... if they still have ice cream (not sure when they stop), it's really good. Real vanilla bean in the vanilla, real coffee ground into the coffee ice cream, etc.

Also, across the street, the old Empire Stores Warehouse has been converted into a giant food court and offices. Go inside and have a look around. If you head out the back and climb the stairs, there is a really nice view of the bridges and lower Manhattan.

Azrael likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted