1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

New York, New York

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by SoSueMe, Apr 19, 2007.

1. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

Or buy the 7-day unlimited MetroCard and take the subways and buses all over the place. The crosstown buses are cool because you can see places that you might like to check out. Hit the bell, get out at the next stop and explore. It's kind of like mobile window shopping.

Subways will move you faster, so they're best for up/down town but the buses have value, too. Driving in Manhattan in daylight hours in too stressful, too unproductive and you'll pay a fortune for a parking spot.

2. John

John Well-Known Member

I never get in a cap or take the subway unless its absolutely necessary. Part of why I love visiting New York is all the stuff I stumble upon -- restaurants, shops, whatever -- while walking from one place to the next. Plus, I usually work up a good appetite.

3. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

I like New York in June.
    How about you?
    I like a Gershwin tune.
    How about you?

4. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

Never been to New York before, so yeah, I'm going to bookmark this thread for when I go there in July. Lots of great tips already.

5. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

Go to the Metropolitan Museam of Art.
    And the Museum of Natural History, and wear a red hunting cap.

6. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

Red hunting cap? OK, you've got to explain this one.

7. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

8. HC

HC Well-Known Member

I like taking the bus too. I usually stay at 123rd & Riverside so you can take the bus all the way down Broadway and get a real sense of the city. You can also take the M3 (I think) that goes down Broadway, turns across the top of Central Park and down 5th Avenue past the Guggenheim, the Metropolitan Museum of Art and lots of fabulous real estate.

9. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

Fool me once, shame on me....

10. Perry White

Perry White Active Member

Don't forget to be careful on the subway:

11. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

I hope you did One if By Land, Two if By Sea with someone you were romantically interested. It's cheesy, but that place melts women. I used to live down the block from the maitre d'. I never go there (too cheap, no woman on earth is worth it ;)), but if I do I get the whopper with extra cheese package.

12. Pastor

Pastor Active Member

Yeah, the waterfront area right near the mall and the Holland Tunnel. It has been re-done and looks phenominal. They have these tall condos and apartments. The restaurants are great as well, authentic Chinese and Japanese places. The view gives you downtown NYC as well.

Draft saved Draft deleted