1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

New York, New York

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Moderator1, Jul 24, 2006.

1. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

Had lunch at the Delta Grill last Friday -- some of the best fried chicken that you will ever have.

2. bagelchick

bagelchick Active Member

If walking is an issue, hire a car and driver for 4 hours. My friends and I did this and it's the quickest way to see a bunch of stuff. We just told the driver all the things we wanted to do and all the places we wanted to see. I think it was around $75/hour.....best money spent.

Have fun!

3. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

If you visit the Cloisters -( I found it painfully boring havin been dragged there on many school field trips) You are in Coogan's Bluff section of NY - Not far from site of Polo Grounds which is an apt complex on 155th st. Cool thing is Willie Mays park within complex -on basketball court there is a plaque on spot of "the Catch"

4. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

I would go out of my way to see that.

5. spnited

spnited Active Member

I'm not too sure about the proximity of the Cloisters to the old Polo Grounds site, Boom.
    Washington Heights on the Hudson, north of the GW Bridge (180s?), to 155th St. on the East side near the Harlem River is not exactly a short walk.

6. danhawks

danhawks Member

Actually, the Cloisters is really easy to get to on the subway, and it's a nice, off the beaten track neighborhood up in the heights north of the GW Bridge...just take the A train to 190th St. and take the elevator and you're there. There's a nice restaurant up there, too.

7. Boom_70

I was assuming you would take cab. But out back side of Cloisters its not that far if you know where to go.

8. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

Apparently they're not open right now, but http://www.shopsins.com/. Check out the menu. It's ... something.

9. finishthehat

finishthehat Active Member

The Cloisters, one way or the other, involves probably more walking than is feasible. If you do it, though, you might rent the Al Pacino movie "Looking for Richard", the odd documentary he made about trying to film a version of Shakespeare's "Richard III" (that's the one with Clubber Lang, I guess).

If walking is really a hassle, one choice might be the Museum of TV & Radio on 57th. It sounds odd to watch TV on a vacation, but there is some wild stuff there -- old talk shows, documentaries, breaking news stuff, etc.

If you or your wife are diehard fans of some actor or personality, you can find some gems. Say, Richard Burton on the Jack Paar show or something like that.

10. Boom_70

Better yet - rent Coogans Bluff

11. Perry White

Perry White Active Member

I enjoyed the NY Transit Museum

12. spaceman

spaceman Active Member

take the weehawken ferry across to jersey, and check out the place where the Hamilton-Burr duel took place. Awesome view.

Draft saved Draft deleted