1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

New York, New York

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Moderator1, Jul 24, 2006.

1. STLIrish

STLIrish Active Member

Ditto on The Strand, the Staten Island Ferry and the Library (bonus: they're all free).
    MacDougal Street in the Village if you're looking for good cheap ethnic food in Manhattan.
    On Saturday, the farmers market in Union Square is great for people watching.
    If you want a great view of the city, with a bit of peace, take the subway to Roosevelt Island and sit by the river.
    And if you want to avoid tourist traps, stay out of Midtown.
    And Bay Ridge, along the harbor, under the Verrezano, is gorgous (though it's a bit of a hike from the subway)

2. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

IJAG particularly recommended Grimaldi's, as I recall.

3. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Wolf's Deli for a foot-high pastrami sandwich. Man alive.

4. OceanLottery

OceanLottery Member

Beer drinker's paradise: Brooklyn Brewery. Tours on Saturday's from 12-5 p.m. (just a speaking tour, you don't get to see all that much) and Happy Hour Friday nights from 6 p.m. to whenever.

One of the founders worked for the AP, middle-east correspondent Steve Hindy, and the tour includes a great story as to why he decided to give up writing for brewing.

They have some really great brews. I love the '55 Pennant Ale for the Brooklyn Dodgers and they also have a great Weisse (wheat beer) and this smoked beer where they actually smoke all the dry ingredients ---- TREMENDOUS!

Great neighborhood (Williamsburg) with some nice restaurants nearby (Brooklyn's Dugout, a major hole in the wall, makes great burgers). If you go for happy hour, they have picnic tables set up and you can order from neighborhood eateries and have stuff delievered and they usually have a live band.

Within walking distance from a downtown L train.

I love that place.

5. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

Recommended site:

http://www.chowhound.com/boards/show/18

Lots of snobbery there, but a ton of good information, too.

6. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Maybe a tour of the Bloomberg newsroom.

7. Hammer Pants

Hammer Pants Active Member

I suggest riding the No. 7 train very late at night.

8. Pete Wevurski

Pete Wevurski Member

If you haven't scored all your theatre tix yet, as an annual visitor to NYC, you probably know about the TKTS booth in Duffy Square. BUT you can get a few hours head start -- and a whole day for weekend shows -- at the TKTS branch office at the South Street Seaport at John & Front streets. That's the branch that used to be located in the World Trade Center.

Any cabbie can get you to South Street Seaport. The nearest subway stop is several blocks away but you'll be walking to and fro through an unattractive part of the Manhattan. Better to cab it and spend your walking around time elsewhere. South Street Seaport is a pretty good place to spend a short while, as long as you're already there!

I concur: Tom's Restaurant is worth a quick bite. Plus, it's only 3-4 blocks from Columbia U., which is worth a stroll across campus, too. Both are on the 1 & 9 subway line, I seem to recall.

9. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

Two words: Little Italy.

You're welcome.

10. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Watching paint dry is more fun than the Cloisters. It is difficult to get to from Midtown.

If you want to see the Cloisters rent Coogans Bluff.

Your time would be better spent taking train to Oyster Bay and looking at Teddy Roosevelt' s home.

11. Hammer Pants

Hammer Pants Active Member

That is a cool place, especially during Italy World Cup matches ;D

12. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

Little Italy is filled with nice people from Kansas who are paying too much money for mediocre EYE-talian food.

Draft saved Draft deleted