1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

New York, New York

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Moderator1, Jul 24, 2006.

1. Dyno

Dyno Well-Known Member

2nd Avenue Deli is closed. There's also Katz's on Houston Street, home of the orgasm scene in "When Harry Met Sally."

2. RayKinsella

RayKinsella Member

The Veteran Memorial was amazing, to read those letters on the walls was simply too much. I wish I knew where it was or how to get there, we just happened to stumble across it as we walked around when I was there a few years ago. Maybe someone with a bit more knowledge of the city can help.

Have fun and I hope Mrs. Moddy is feeling better.

3. Doom and gloom

Doom and gloom Active Member

Look, don't take a tour bus no matter what. Traffic hell descends upon you.

4. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

If you want a casual yet revelatory meal, try Bubby's. It's in Tribeca, North Moore and Hudson (approximately). The best homemade pie in Manhattan.

5. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

Gold -- almost no one that I know has been there and everyone who goes is surprised by how nice it is.

On some of the other selections -- I read that Dylan's Candy Bar had been written up by the Board of Health (but used to be a must when I was taking my niece and nephew for the day). Tom's Diner stinks -- I lived near it for my three years in Morningside Heights and never once had a good meal. All of the big delis like Stage or Carnegie are incredibly overpriced.

As a Brooklyn native (and one who remembers when Carroll Gardens, Cobble Hill and Williamsburg were anything but hip), there is no need to leave Manhattan to go to the County of Kings if you want to walk around -- Soho or the Village are just fine. Although good call on Grimaldi's by Ragu.

Moddy -- what are you looking for?

6. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

If you're book people, you MUST go to The Strand, 12th and Broadway. For a reasonable extra change, they'll ship your purchases via UPS, so you don't have to worry about lugging everything home.

7. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

New-York Historical Society on 77th.

New York Public Library.

8. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I've heard the Empire State Building is nice...

Some people also like to go to the Statue of Liberty...

;D

9. FuerteJ

FuerteJ Active Member

I just got back from that area when i went on vacation. Spent a great evening at the Brooklyn Social Club (I think that's the name. it's a small, cash only bar that was absolutely brilliant). Anyways, that area is nice.

Other than that, I'm not very useful on this thread. The other guys know what they're talking about. But it's worth going to. I love New York.

EDIT: Also, i forgot about this. Go to Tribeca and eat at Industria Argentina. Terrific food. Terrific.

10. BYH

BYH Active Member

And who knows, you might get to sunbathe with ARod.

11. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

My hands-down favorite place to visit in NY is the NEw York Public Library. The original manuscripts and all the medieval art are fantastic. Plus, they recently opened a newly renovated map room which allows anyone to check out the largest collection of maps on record.

http://www.nypl.org/research/chss/map/map.html

12. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

Yes, it has a Gutenberg bible (in great shape) and some original Newton texts.

Draft saved Draft deleted